Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sorta Lacambre Method Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yeah it has to be due to the no boil and no cool that I did. However the no cool was done in a sanitized stainless fermentor and I added the lacto at 110F.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
smokinghole

Recipes 

So it's showing signs of coming around with the ECY04 addition. There was significant CO2 production for two-three weeks. Now it's still producing just not nearly as much. The ropiness seems to be being broken down in fairly quick order. There is a nice underlying lactic acidity and the brett is further assisting with taking the weirdo pseudo rotten DMS flavor away.

So I am thinking about doing a sour wit again REAL soon. Only this time I'll just hop/boil the whole thing (low IBUs), add a pure lacto culture, and ferment with ECY11. I will consider the no boil/unhopped technique as a bad way to do a wit.

There is much left out it seems from the Lacambre technique even in the most general sense. I couldn't find any description of what the beer tasted like, what happened if it went past 2-3 weeks. Possibly what I ended up with is what happened if the beer went past two weeks from brewing. I would guess that the final rinse of the grains through the mashed grain bed then not boiling it would cause a pickup of a bunch of thermophilic bacteria. Who knows what they ended up with....

Old 06-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
smokinghole

Recipes 

I am happy to update that the rotten-ass corn flavor is gone. The hydro is showing less than 1.0000 and the viscosity is almost gone. I think I should have this in bottles next month or so. I think it'll be a nice refreshing beer if I carb it up to 3.5volumes.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
smokinghole

Recipes 

Well I had some frozen sour cherries from the local farm. I decided to add some to this beer a while ago. I'm not letting it sit with fruit for 6-8 months. This was bottled today and I'm getting a .990 gravity. So the combo of whatever made it out of the mash and the ECY04 culture this beer is super dry, fairly sour, and plenty funky. Some is in a 6L bottle and the rest in 750s and some 12oz bottles.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #25
smokinghole

Recipes 

Well here I am over a year later and I'm drinking a bottle of this beer. It's actually pretty nice. The 6L bottle that I filled will be opened at post baptism party where I'm actually going to be the godfather. I didn't know this when I gave my friend the bottle. In fact I think when I gave him the bottle, they weren't expecting. So the rotten butt corn flavor aroma did in fact go away.

I may actually try this again soon but in a completely different method. This time a full boil on the wort, split it off, continue boiling the souring portion for DMS, and hop the rest in the boil. The side portion will be 3 or so gallons and will get a pure culture of lacto that I will then boil again and blend. I'm not dealing with what happened to this beer again.

Quick Reply