Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sampling the Lambic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrain View Post
OP here. I just sampled it again. It's kind of one-dimensional almost lemony sour. There's a hint of the bretty horsiness kind of thing, but mainly just sour. Is this a normal 9 month old lambic/sour? Should I be doing anything to it?

At this point I'm waiting for a sample to blow me away, then I'm planning to keg it up and cool it down to try to stop it at "the perfect moment".
It’s normal for this batch of sour beer. Give your beer a bit more time and hopefully the ester/funk profile will get to where you want it. You could certainly add some more bottle dregs if you want to up the microbial diversity, but if you are getting some funk the Brett is already hard at work.

Lambic brewers splitting the same wort from the same coolship into barrels in the same room can get wildly different results barrel to barrel. Their “perfect” sour is usually the result of blending some of these suboptimal batches to bring out the best of each. Your batch may never get to that perfect point alone, but it certainly could.

One of my favorite things about brewing sours is to watch the evolution over time, which is why I almost always bottle them even though I finally started kegging a year ago.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply