Orval or Jolly Pumpkin dregs for tripel? Coin toss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
I have a coin out..

I just racked a tripel to secondary and decided at the last minute to pitch some dregs and let it sit for a while. Pipeline is big so I can just age it for a while and not look at it for several months.

Not sure which. Orval sounds good, but then again so does Jolly pumkin.

Thoughts?

For a tripel, I vote Orval, but you can't really go wrong either way.

I am leaning that direction.

Just finish cleaningup from this mornings brew. I am about to go to the store to pick up some Orval and Jolly Pumpkin. This evening when I crack a couple of beers I will decide.

Orval contains brett and Jolly Pumpkin contains brett and lacto. Big difference, what do you want the final beer to taste like?

Once you start drinking, you will realize the answer is 'both.

I pitched Orval dregs into a tripel and it is so much better than the straight tripel that I'm floored. It's not sour, bit that's fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I vote for putting it into two three gallon better bottles and doing both.

I pitched Orval dregs into a tripel and it is so much better than the straight tripel that I'm floored. It's not sour, bit that's fine with me.

Orval doesn't have any souring bugs in it so it won't sour the beer.

My point was precisely that Orval won't sour, but it's great nonetheless.

I used the Orval dregs. Decided to save the Jolly Pumpkin for a saison that I recently brewed.

Back