Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Jolly Pumpkin La Roja

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Jolly Pumpkin La Roja

I have never brewed a sour before, but I saw that this was a very popular beer. I found the clone recipe in a BYO Jan/Feb 2008 issue. It seems very straight forward. What do you guys think?

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeind...-la-roja-clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks good, but have you had this beer? If you don't like "over the top" sour beers, then you'd probably be better off fermenting with a neutral yeast like US-05 before you pitch your roeselare blend.

By the way...I don't concider this beer to be very good. That's my opinion, of course. I've tried a lot of sours...and my favorite style by far is Flanders red or brown. I noticed they have a clone for New Belgiums La Folie on that page. You should give that a try. It's an amazing beer. The 2011 isn't that good, but the 2009 and 2010's were great. Hopefully that clone is for one of those.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I bookmarked them all and hope to do all of them. I don't have the ability to ferment at 75 right now, but in the summer months that is no problem. The half bath that my wife lets me use to to ferment in has no heat or air duct so in the winter it is perfect for most beers and the summer is good for belgian style beers.

I have not tried the beer, it is almost impossible to get here. The distributer only gets lie 12 cases for the entire mid-state area. A lot of the bottles are pre-sold before the stores get it.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
I have not tried the beer, it is almost impossible to get here. The distributer only gets lie 12 cases for the entire mid-state area. A lot of the bottles are pre-sold before the stores get it.
while what Suthrncomfrt1884 has said is completely true (his opinion and all), don't let the description of jolly pumpkin la roja scare you away from trying the recipe. there's no way with the 100,000 variables in sour brewing that you'll end up with an exact clone of la roja. i bet whatever you brew it ends up somewhere between la roja and la folie. i also bet if Suthrncomfrt1884 lets his 2011 la Folie age it will end up at the quality of the previous vintages

btw: if you get New Belgian La Folie i would be happy to go in on a trade for some Jolly Pumpkin La Roja! that way we can both ale each others regional woes

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessup View Post
. i also bet if Suthrncomfrt1884 lets his 2011 la Folie age it will end up at the quality of the previous vintages
I bought a few bottles for exactly that reasone. But...I've done the same with previous years. I'll usually buy 4 bottles. I drink one right away and e allow the other three to age a year or two before I drink them. I don't think it should be neccissary to age a beer that's already beer aged for 1-3 years...but it's needed for this beer.

When I commented on the taste of 2011, I was comparing it to when I tried the previous years without aging them. In that aspect...the 2010 was probably my favorite.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I don't think it should be neccissary to age a beer that's already beer aged for 1-3 years...but it's needed for this beer.
i know it's crazy!! and i hope i didn't come off nasty in my previous post, i totally meant it innocently about the aging!! i think new belgian just started doing vintages. my take on the quote below is that before 2010 they would bottle and release different batches throughout the year(s) and probably blended differently and leading to a lot of variation in batches. i've only personally tried it twice and they were definitely very different from one another!
from new belgian:
"New in 2010, we'll do a single bottling of La Folie for the year. Collect the 22oz unique to 2010 designed bottle and start a yearly wood-aged collection of goodness."

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

La Folie is not a live beer anymore, its now pasteurized so aging wont really do much, this happend when they changed over to the Lips of Faith series

As for suthrncomfrt's assessment of La Roja, I couldnt agree more, I find the beer over-phenolic and very rough around the edges, yet the other JP beers Ive enjoyed......

And to the OP, it would actually be a good idea to add the dregs of one of JP's lower alc beers i.e. calabaza blanca to yours, as they have some really strong souring bugs in there

Old 01-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Does anybody have access to any of the Jolly Pumpkin beers? I would be glad to compensate you via paypal for it. I will call around just to be sure that I can't get any of them here locally.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Try here

http://www.wineandcheeseplace.com/ca...id=13&pageID=1

Ive ordered from them several times, and always have been pleased, they also have a great selection of imported sours from europoe

a Couple really good ones IMO are ....

Saint Bon-chien
drie fonteinen

Old 01-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Before I run off to my LHBS, www.rebelbrewer.com I thought I needed to ask a question. The recipe calls for 8lbs 5 oz. blend of Pils and pale malts. Anybody have any suggestions on what ration I should make it?

Quick Reply