GigaYeast bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighBrewer

Reaction score
Anyone tried any of GY's sour cultures yet? LHBS owner texted me this morning that I have GB110 lacto, GB124 sour saison (saison/lacto) blend and the Belgian sour plum (fruity Belgian sach/bacteria) heading my way. As usual with GY stuff, I can find no info outside of their Vermont and saison strains.

Not sure what I'll do with them yet. I think I might use the plum with my enkle recipe, possibly the saison blend with my rye saison. Also might just do a simple 80/10/10 pils/spelt/carafoan or 80/20 pils/spelt.

Not sure if their lacto can ferment on its own. That one's up in the air

Didn't know they had been released yet. Good to know. Always nice to have a new company out there, pretty happy with their stuff so far. Last I looked on their website it said coming soon. That was only a couple weeks ago it seems.

Oh and by the way, do you know the cell counts on their Brett and another bugs?

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sounds like you guys know as much as I do lol

All I know is the names and product numbers. The store owner hit me up and said I can order these right now, you in? He should've known that answer already ;)

Might be one of the first homebrewers to get my paws on these

The East coast stuff is hard to come by, so it is a welcome addition to the marketplace.

Need to go check out the website again. Too bad I have just recently ordered some Brett strains from White labs, or else I'd have tried the Giga.

TD

Yea, I love the ECY stuff, I hate having to buy it the instant it's available whether or not I'm ready to use it anytime soon

I actually did buy the 1bbl pitch. Used it in two batches of 15 gallons. Cheaper than buying 30 gallons of commercial sours by far! Thinking about adding a bit of it to some other beers aging in carboys that I used roeselare blend on. These are nearing the 6 month mark, so not sure it'll help or not, but what the hey...
Wish the giga stuff was out a few weeks ago, I checked before ordering the ECY.

TD

OK. so if the ECY 1BBL pitch has "substantially more" yeast than 6 five gallon single batches what would it hurt to split it across 9 five gallon batches or 12 five gallon batches to bring it's price more inline with $11 per five gallon batch? Does more bacteria rot the beer any better or worse???

I'm sensing the need for a long term side by side project.... Grrrrr.... running out of fermentation room and carboys.

Checkin in ... also picked up the sour plum belgian and the lacto from giga. Will be using the lacto for quick souring wort for a gose & keeping the strain alive for future quick sours...
No idea what to use the belgian sour plum for yet as I also have zero information on it. I'll try to update as I use

Could send them an email. I had done this about their saison blend to ask a few questions. Fairly prompt response and with some good information. I don't even see the link on the Gigayeast homepage about what sour strains they are offering. I not really interested in buying any at the moment, however was curious what they had to offer.

Some packaging issues, but, it's their first disco with bugs. No info except the brand names. Whirlpooling a Belgian blonde right now, a damaged pouch of sour saison going in. We shall see what happens

Any updates from anyone? I got a pack and decided to do a split fermentation for a sour saison. Brewed and pitched on 6/12. It seemed to take a little longer to get going compared to Wyeast 5335. Mine took a full 48 hours before I saw visible signs of fermentation. On the other hand I've had 5335 show visible signs within 12 hours or less. It's still chugging away, but I'm hoping to pull a sample this weekend and see what kind of tartness I'm getting.

Some packaging issues, but, it's their first disco with bugs. No info except the brand names. Whirlpooling a Belgian blonde right now, a damaged pouch of sour saison going in. We shall see what happens

Damaged packaging? How was it damaged? Seems like the kind of thing that either it's sealed or it's not sealed. Their packaging for their other strains that I've used is great. A nice heavy duty pouch.

Damaged packaging? How was it damaged? Seems like the kind of thing that either it's sealed or it's not sealed. Their packaging for their other strains that I've used is great. A nice heavy duty pouch.

Tiny puncture in the packaging. The other sour saison was puffed out like a smack pack after 2 days. Another was real puffy too. They comped the saison. It's fermenting away, haven't tasted or tested yet.

I did get some info on the lacto

Species: Lactobacillus Sp.
Morphology: Long Bacilli in chains and singlets Recommended Temperature Range: 68 F to 98 F Fermentation Profiles:
14 days at 71 F in 1045 sweet wort, pH 5.6
Apparent Attenuation-- 40% ABV-- NA
Final pH-- 3.6 (100X acidification) 1.4% lactic acid W/V
48 hrs at 98 F in 1045 sweet wort, pH 5.6
Apparent Attenuation-- 15% ABV-- NA
Final pH-- 3.6 (100X acidification) 0.6% lactic acid W/V
Tasting Notes: Pronounced Sourness. Creates a modest amount of CO2 and EtOH.
General Notes: Lactic Acid Bacteria are inhibited by hops, high gravity and low temperatures. You can adjust sourness by increasing or decreasing these variables. More than 7 IBU, gravity above 1050 or temps below 65 F will increase the time to sour or lead to reduced overall souring. We recommend brewing with GB110 in one of three ways. I) “Hot Start”: Pitch GB110 to wort at 98 F with little or no hops for 48-72 hrs. Cool wort and pitch yeast of your choice. II) “Co-Pitch”: Pitch GB110 into a primary with yeast of your choice at 68-72 F. Wort that is less than 1050 and 7 IBU will typically be very sour in 2-3 weeks. III) “Secondary”: Pitch GB110 after primary fermentation for an aged sour. Souring by this method typically requires several months. Adding simple sugars or fruit etc. will enhance souring in the secondary.

is that fast acting lacto sour worth the $13.99? Id like to maybe mix that with some of my brett B trois

I haven't tried it yet. I'm thinking of doing a cascade type all lacto sour after either 3725 or 3522 fermentation. I want to so BW too but that's still down the line a bit. I assume, the same lacto is in the sour saison, so ill have an idea soon of how fast they consider fast to be

I'm actually using the lacto today in a berliner, I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Bumping this thread because I'm curious how yours turned out. I just brewed one today with a 15 minute boil. Cooled it to 110 and pitched lacto which I'm holding at 100 ambient. Plan on cooling and pitching Wyeast 1007 in a couple days.

Bumping this thread because I'm curious how yours turned out. I just brewed one today with a 15 minute boil. Cooled it to 110 and pitched lacto which I'm holding at 100 ambient. Plan on cooling and pitching Wyeast 1007 in a couple days.

Bumping to see how both of yours turned out.

I got a pouch of their sour saison. I brewed up a wort last weekend, pils, wheat, Munich, oats, and carapils. About 15 ibu of late boil Amarillo. Boiled and pitched a starter of lacto brevis, which had been going 6 days at 100 degrees. Going to pitch the sour saison tomorrow at 70.

I'll probably give it a few months, then đry hop with Citra and Amarillo in time for spring.

I brewed a black sour with the lacto culture. Pitched lacto first and let it do its thing for around 48 hours at around 100 degrees with some variation. Cooled down to around 80 and let it drop to room temp, 73-74, pitching some built up yeast from a Saison DuPont bottle that had been in my fridge for 6 months along with half a vial of dirty dozen. The Dupont jar smelled exactly like Saison Dupont with maybe a hint of sulfur.

A couple months later the beer has an aggressive lactic tartness but reeks of ethyl acetate, nail polish remover. It has no acetic acid bite at all, which makes me think it's not from acetobacter, leaving only a higher fermentation temperature as the culprit. I'm suspicious that Dupont yeast would throw off those flavors as it's built for high temps. Could it have been the Dirty Dozen or champagne yeast from the Dupont dregs that threw out those flavors at a higher temp?

Anyways, for a Giga review: I doubt it was the lacto that made my beer taste bad and am super excited about how fast it soured the beer with such little effort (no bacteria starter and only temp control for 48 hrs). I'll definitely be buying this again unless the Omega Lacto mix I got works better.

So far so good. The sour saison took a hard right turn a few months after being very bland and mild, and is now developung into a great funky sour beer. No reports on the belgian plum or farm house. Still need to brew with some of the other new ones too, like flanders brett.

I also did a BW with the lacto, sour wort for a week. Nicely tart, not soyr, but then again it was a bit old and the temps dropped a bit. Fermented it clean after a 30 min boil with giga vermont, fermented it around 73 to bring out the fruity esters. Could be a bit more tart but over all, i am very impressed.

Gigayeast cultures get my 2 thumbs up! Along with TYB stuff, i have no reason to stick to the old stand bys from White Labs or Wyeast

I brewed a black sour with the lacto culture. Pitched lacto first and let it do its thing for around 48 hours at around 100 degrees with some variation. Cooled down to around 80 and let it drop to room temp, 73-74, pitching some built up yeast from a Saison DuPont bottle that had been in my fridge for 6 months along with half a vial of dirty dozen. The Dupont jar smelled exactly like Saison Dupont with maybe a hint of sulfur.

A couple months later the beer has an aggressive lactic tartness but reeks of ethyl acetate, nail polish remover. It has no acetic acid bite at all, which makes me think it's not from acetobacter, leaving only a higher fermentation temperature as the culprit. I'm suspicious that Dupont yeast would throw off those flavors as it's built for high temps. Could it have been the Dirty Dozen or champagne yeast from the Dupont dregs that threw out those flavors at a higher temp?

Anyways, for a Giga review: I doubt it was the lacto that made my beer taste bad and am super excited about how fast it soured the beer with such little effort (no bacteria starter and only temp control for 48 hrs). I'll definitely be buying this again unless the Omega Lacto mix I got works better.

I suspect that is from you unbder pitching with a 6 month old jar of yeast

Latest posts

Back