Couple questions about my first sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stpetebrewer

Reaction score
Planning on brewing my first sour on Friday. Planning on doing 10 gallons of a Oud Bruin style split into 2 fermenters. One will get Wyest 1056 for the primary fermentation then ECY20 for the secondary. The other will get Wyeast Roeselare blend from the start. One question I have is how long should I keep the one with the Roeselare in the primary fermenter? I was thinking I would let it sit in there for about 2 weeks then transfer to the secondary.

I'm also planning on letting these 2 age for about 12 months or longer. I'm going to add oak cubes to the secondary, but wasn't sure when they should get added. Should they go in a few weeks before I plan on bottling? Or should they go in from the start?

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't use ECY20 for a brown beer. The acid production from the blend tends towards citric, at least in the two beers I've made with it, and I think that wouldn't work with a brown beer. There's also no need to use it as a secondary strain, it's got plenty of stuff in there to ferment at least 5 gallons of beer. Smokinghole has suggested using it for several times that amount to emulate the low 'pitch' rate of lambic.

I haven't used Roeselare, but for my non-lambic style wild beers, I will rack to secondary whenever it seems like the initial stages of fermentation have stopped. 2 weeks is a good ballpark.

I've used Roselare for 10+ beers, multiple generations.

I keep mine on Roselare for the whole fermentation. What are you worried about happening? I keep it on for a year or so. Great results.

Thanks for the replies!

I was worried about letting it sit in the primary for a year, because of it sitting on the yeast cake for that long. I only let my clean beers sit in the primary for 2 weeks before I keg. I didn`t know if I should get a sour beer off of the yeast cake or not.

I usually rack as activity starts to slow. That way I carry over a large amount of yeast, while most of the trub has dropped out and is left behind.

Yeast is not a problem for Sours. The brett uses the decaying yeast preventing the effects of autolysis.

Latest posts

Back