Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devonhomebrew said:
If i bottle my lambic and i dont wanna have the pellicle in it what can i do?

Make sure there's no oxygen in the bottle before you cap it by purging with co2. A pellicle will form as a barrier between the bugs and oxygen. No oxygen = no pellicle.

devonhomebrew said:
Does that work?

Yup. A pellicle forms to shield the bacteria/yeast from oxygen. So if there's no oxygen there would be no pellicle.

Also see you're from York, PA. I went to college there. Nice town.

If there's no oxygen there would be no pellicle.

I don't know that I agree with this. I've seen pellicles form in glass carboys that I know have no oxygen in them.

Oxygen does seem to be a cause of pellicle formation, but it may not be the only one.

Calder said:
I don't know that I agree with this. I've seen pellicles for in glass carboys that I know have no oxygen in them.

Oxygen does seem to be a cause of pellicle formation, but it may not be the only one.

I've been doing some more research. Lacto forms the pellicle to keep oxygen out. Brett can form the pellicle to get oxygen.

Different strains probably do different things too.

im not from York PA im actually british just hbt wouldnt let me on unless i used an american address anyway problem is i just dont want pellicle in my glass when i drink my beers also if i transfer to secondary will it form another pellicle?

im not from York PA im actually british just hbt wouldnt let me on unless i used an american address anyway problem is i just dont want pellicle in my glass when i drink my beers also if i transfer to secondary will it form another pellicle?

There are a number of Brits on here (with UK addresses). You must be special! I'm a Brit too, but I do live in the US.

Yes, a new pellicle will probably form in the secondary.

Back