Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > The Bard - All Brett B Brown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Sounds like a deal! I can probably put together a few more vials for you guys to share since I know you are a slant whore...
These going to be slants or vials? How effective do you think the mixed strain slants will be at getting good populations of the mix? I know CdT & Consecration are blends. What Allagash do you have? I have an Allagash Tripel Reserve that I'm probably going to slant up because omg the yeast flavors on that are AMAZING. ollllo can back me up on this.
Allagash Confluence, which is a blend of their primary and brett strains. My plan for all of these is to plate them to isolate the Brett. If I am lucky I'll be able to get both the Brett and Sacc strains from the Confluence (assuming I can figure out which is which on the plate ). Tripel Reserve can be had at Spec's here, the Confluence I got through mail order...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
saq
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

Its been one week so I thought I'd check on the brew. Its a little cold in the house right no and ferm temp has been hovering at 68f, which from past experience means Brett is slow. Sure enough, gravity reading of 1.034 after a week of ferm time. I moved it to a warmer area of the house and we'll see what happens.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
saq
Recipes 

Did some more checkups on the beer today. The carboy is giving me the feeling that its done. No krausen or any signs of activity and its been like that for over a week. Took a gravity reading and I'm at 1.010, or 83% attenuation, somewhat similar to The Muse. Its pretty good, tastes a LOT like an oud bruin, but with all brett characters. Its very clean and much tarter than expected, the malt flavors are VERY subdue and the tartness is higher than expected. Perhaps bumping the chocolate and special B up a tad would keep some around.
I am beginning to think that all brett beers get more tart with dark malts...

Brett B Influence: Some fruity (like REAL fruit) mango/lychee/cherry flavors combine with some light tartness in the nose and palate. Funk level is fairly low, just a hint in the background that reminds me of a nice swiss cheese, very clean for brett. No leather or peppery characters like Brett L.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #14
saq
Recipes 

Kegged it last night and left it cooling in the kegorator. Carbed it up (still not quite there) and tried my first pint tonight. It'll probably be fully carbed up later tonight, might need to tweak the pressure to get it just right.

The flavors on this are interesting. Overripe plum, pineapple, mango, lychee. Light tartness, moderately funky and finishes somewhat earthy. Its an interesting combo, more subtle on the flavors overall than The Muse, which is interesting. I'm reserving judgement on this, though the thought of me throwing some the cherry concentrate I'm using for my Cuvee De Tomme style beer is growing on me.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #15
saq
Recipes 

As I expected much better on day 2. Had some while brewing my quad today, dropped in a little bit of cherry concentrate (100% cherry juice) and this beer was transformed into something REALLY amazing. I'm officially on the edge of pouring some of the extract in to the whole batch. I'm going to take some both with and without the cherry juice to 2 beer club meetings next week and get some votes.

Quick Reply