WLP800/Wyeast2001 for something other than pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orthobrewsky

Reaction score
Since last Thursday, I've been building up some yeast for a Bohemian pilsner. It was a 3.5 month old vial, so the first starter was 900ml. It took a day to show one of those cute, baby krausens, but on day 2 it blew off (at 60 degrees in <1.035 wort). I poured it into about 2 quarts of similar wort Sunday evening and that was blowing off the next evening. SNC01008.jpg

SNC01010.jpg

SNC01013.jpg

Anyway, I'm planning on one more feeding before the weekend and, after all that, it seems like it would be nice to harvest the yeast and do another lager. I'd just like to do a different lager. Has anyone tried a dedicated pilsener yeast for another kind of lager? What would be the effect on an oktoberfest if I used this yeast?

At least it seems to be an enthusiastic yeast. Now the third stage is in my freezer at 50 degrees and, yes, blowing off again. I put 3 drops of simethecone in the boil. They worked very well in the boil, but...
SNC01015.jpg

Back