Will this be ready for Christmas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbfan101

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I definitely need some suggestions here, but I'm trying to lay out a Christmas beer. Here's what I got so far:

Grains:
6.5 lb pilsner(52%)
3 lb vienna(24%)
1.5 lb munich(12%)
1 lb Dark candi sugar(8%)
8 oz aromatic(4%)

Hops:
.5 oz magnum(60 minutes)
.5 oz saaz(5 minutes)
IBU:23

Extras:
.5 oz fennel seed
2 tsp almond extract

I plan on mashing this high to retain body. I'm going to be making the belgian candi since I don't think it's worth buying it for the price they sell it at. Part of me wants to add spice, but I don't want it to take away from the malts.

Suggestions?

Do you think the recipe looks ok? I had a little crystal 40 in there because I was worried about the candi sugar drying it out too much, but I decided to take it out. Your thoughts?

I´ll throw some special b in that grain bill and a little cinnamon stick at the las 5m of the boil

haven't used fennel to brew but my initial reaction is that 14g seems like a lot

My thinking with .5 oz was that fennel seed is so mild that perhaps I would need more. However, I suppose I could cut that to .25 oz and see how it turns out. I could always just come over the top with star anise if it's not prominent enough.

I´ll throw some special b in that grain bill and a little cinnamon stick at the las 5m of the boil
I had some special b in there initially, but took it out because I was hoping the belgian candi sugar would lend enough dark fruit flavor. I'm just worried if I add anymore malts that the balance in the base malt recipe will start to become muddled. I could drop the aromatic and use special b in its place(not as a replacement). I've never used aromatic before, but I thought it would be a nice touch based on its description.

Back