Wheat in APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigchristheman

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has used wheat malt in an American Pale? I think it might add a nice touch to the beer but there were a few things I was concerned about, mainly haze. I was thinking 2 or 3 lbs in a 5 gal batch. I want to make an ale with a color around 7 or 8 and I'm worried that it might make it look too much like an American Wheat.

Has anyone tried this with success? I plan on trying it next but was hoping I could get some input on what to expect.

You might want to refer to the style guidelines if you are trying to hit something dead on, look at page 18 for your APA.

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_stylebook.pdf

I think wheat malt adds a lot, but I'd go with closer to 1# personally. When it all shakes out it's what you like to brew and drink.

bigchristheman said:
Do you think with one pound of wheat you get it as clear as without? I bottle condition my beers too

Shouldn't be a problem. I use some wheat malt in most of my beers for added head retention and have not had a haze issue. I bottle condition as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Check out lagunitas, they use wheat in a bunch of their beers. They've had several clone recipes on the Jamil show, I'm sure you can find them around.

Back