Wee heavy recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolitamigo

Reaction score
I had some grains and hops sitting around for a brown ale and now I'm getting the hankering for a wee heavy while I'm still stocked on homebrew and can let it age. So after listening to the Jamil show episode on strong scotch ales, I decided to work on a recipe around my brown ale grains.

I started with (pre mixed and crushed)

9lb british pale
.5 crystal 40
.5 vienna
2 oz chocolate (not sure if this would alter the flavor too much, or could it be a substitute for the usual handful of roasted barley?)

2 oz of ekg

I was thinking I could make it into a good scotch ale recipe by adding
3 lb pale
.25 lb special b
and 3 lbs dry extract

the finished recipe would look like this.

12 lb british pale
.5 lb crystal 40
.5 lb vienna
2 oz chocolate
.25 lb special b
3 lb dry malt extract

2 oz of ekg at start of full batch boil.

I will be using less crystal malt, and attempting to caramelize over a gallon of my first runnings. I hope this will give it a more authentic taste. Hopville says my ibus will be 25.4 and Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Suggestions on yeast would be appreciated as well.

i was thinking of mashing at 154.

also if it helps I was inspired to brew this because of traquair jacobite and old chub. So hopefully what I come up with will be similar in taste if not a bit sweeter and with some more alcohol.

Back