Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Warm Temperature Fermentation Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
javedian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Warm Temperature Fermentation Yeast

OK - I understand that generally lower temps (65-72) are best for ales, and most of my last 10-15 batches have all been temp controlled in a dedicated fridge, and wish I could stay temp controlled. This summer, I probably won't have that option, as we have been using the spare as overflow, and have to keep it at fridge / freezer funtion temps. I use an aquarium heater in a tub to keep my brews warm now, but that will stop soon as spring approaches.

I am trying to get a good stash while it is cool, but will have to brew a few during the summer, when our house is normally 78-80*F.

What yeasts (preferably White Labs or dry, but I can order Wyeast) are acceptable at those temps? I understand that I will not get clean profiles, but that is OK - I love Belgain and British yeast character. What I am looking for is what WONT produce fusels or other BAD flavors - I can work with fruity. Based on the yeast, I will develop a beer recipe working backwards. Saison yeast (WLP566 & WLP568) are the only ones I am sure will be OK. I have heard that Nottingham (a personal favorite) does OK at higher temps, but have not gone warm with it. I have found that Safbrew T-58 is bad warm - it gave me horrible fusels at 80, but was great at 70. I wll try to keep the warm beers below about 1.060, which will help also.

Based on what my summer yeasts will be, I am planning my spring beers to give variety.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I don't think you're going to find a yeast that can work in that temp range that won't produce alot of esters and/or fusel alcohols. I had a Dark English that got up in the upper 70's using Nottingham and I'm not very happy with it. I'm pretty sure there is some fusel alcohol in there. If your ambient temps are 80 degrees that means your beer is going to be 85 and I can't imagine you will get good results that way.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3186 Times on 3089 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Use your tub as a swamp cooler to keep your beer cold the same way you keep it warm now. Little water and some ice and you're all set. Quite a few threads on here about swamp coolers. hint hint

Or find a cheap used fridge in the classified section of the paper/craigslist/resale shop and continue the temp control setup. I don't think you'll be happy with ambient fermentation temperatures after having temperature control so far.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

A "cube" cooler, with a thick piece of foam cut to fit the carboy and top of the cooler, along with a frozen water bottle or two, and you can ferment at the correct temps.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Whisler85
Recipes 

if you can keep the temp down for just 2-4 days and use a belgian yeast, you can then let the temp rise to 78-80 over a week and should have a perfect belgian

i use wyeast 1388 belgian strong, which is the same as white labs 570 gold strong ale

belgian golden strong ale is the best category for the higher temperatures- supposedly some belgian breweries crank the heat up to the low 90's to get 80%+ attenuation!

i brewed a golden strong two weeks ago- kept it around 66 for four days- when the krausen disappeared i slowly increased the heat- its been at 82 degrees for a week now and i can still see a steady stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom

Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Ketchepillar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

saison! saison yeast will love those temps.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

+1 on saison

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply