Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Thomas Hardy clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #31
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Nice to see this thread still going! Just got back on homebrewtalk recently. I think I have 1 more beer left from the one I brewed years ago. In reguards to yeast, I got the alcohol content to where it should be only using the Bavarian Lager idea I got from reading the book on Barleywines. Going to try this brew again sometime this year but as a 12 gallon batch on the new brew system. Should be able to do that much using the 20 gallon mashtun. Probably will not brew it again till later this year.

Warrior

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #32
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Oh hell yeah - I'm happy it's here as well.
I've got about 12 TH left from years 1994, 1997, 2003, 2004, and 2008, and I'm going to need something to drink when they're all done.

I think my first attempt at this recipe was pretty good and I plan to do it again this coming winter.

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #33
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
Oh hell yeah - I'm happy it's here as well.
I've got about 12 TH left from years 1994, 1997, 2003, 2004, and 2008, and I'm going to need something to drink when they're all done.

I think my first attempt at this recipe was pretty good and I plan to do it again this coming winter.
I'm jealous! But that's my plan as well, brew a new batch every year and cellar it for as long as possible so I can select which vintage I want.

I'll see how this batch goes and tweak the recipe from that point on, based on my experiences.

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #34
BernardStreetBrews
Recipes 

I brewed a 3 gallon batch of this today. Brew day was long but the end result is hopeful so far. I made a 2 gallon starter earlier this week, siphoned off the starter beer (which has made a nice English bitter), then pitched right on top of the yeast slurry. I whipped a ton of air into the wort so I had a few inches of foam on top, and it was bubbling fast in the fermenter almost straight away. I also used a sieve when pouring the beer into the fermenter to get rid of most of the trub.

I plan to whip more air in tonight, hopefully before krausen really gets going, so the yeast has plenty of oxygen to work on...

Old 09-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #35
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I still have not rebrewed this yet. Need to put it on my schedule for a 15 gallon batch. Will carb in a keg and then bottle all of it.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:06 AM   #36
BernardStreetBrews
Recipes 

So I ended up not re-aerating this one. It was bubbling continuously from very early on and after I returned from work on Monday (about 28 hours later) all bubbling had stopped. I checked gravity and it was down to 1.040! So I very very gently stirred yeast back into suspension and closed it up again.

I just checked gravity again (six days in) and it was bang on target at 1.030. Tasting it right this minute gives a strong almost bourbon flavor with a very hoppy aftertaste. I'm sure that will mellow with enough conditioning. I have the sample in a glass in the fridge now to floc all the suspended yeast before giving it a proper taste.

I plan to leave this two more weeks in primary and then go straight to bottles (after cold crashing). Then it'll be down in a dark corner (or the basement fridge) for many months. Maybe I'll open one over the holidays (3 months from now) just to see what a "young" one of these will taste like.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #37
BernardStreetBrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
I still have not rebrewed this yet. Need to put it on my schedule for a 15 gallon batch. Will carb in a keg and then bottle all of it.
I noticed your comment from ages ago about the yeast. I also read somewhere else that Thomas Hardy was fermented with lager yeast. Do you think maybe that'll be something for the next brew of it you do?

Old 09-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #38
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I did brew it with the german Lager yeast. I beleive it gave me the proper flavor profile. I think it might be that elusive flavor profile from the Lager fermented at warm temps.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #39
BernardStreetBrews
Recipes 

Thanks! I'll definitely try that next time.

One other thing I noticed with this brew is the incredible amount of yeast cake it generates. Next time I brew I will definitely do a larger batch than three gallons as I'm sure I lost more percentage of the end product due to wastage and dry hopping.

Anyway looking forward to trying this in a few months!

Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #40
BernardStreetBrews
Recipes 

Thanks! I'll definitely try that next time.

One other thing I noticed with this brew is the incredible amount of yeast cake it generates. Next time I brew I will definitely do a larger batch than three gallons as I'm sure I lost more percentage of the end product due to wastage and dry hopping.

Anyway looking forward to trying this in a few months!

Quick Reply