SWMBO Slayer questions--Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alby44

Reaction score
Extract brewer here (for the moment at least): Went ahead and purchased the extract variation of BMs SWMBO Slayer that was listed on page 2 of BM's thread, but wanted to confirm with others that this recipe was correct?

5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
0.50 lb Wheat Liquid Extract
5.00 lb Wheat, Flaked
1.00 oz Williamette

Steep the Flaked Wheat in 145 degree water for 1 hour and proceed to strain, bring to boil and add extracts

Specifically, the Flaked Wheat @ 5pds?

Plan is to use WLP410, but I saw a comment that the 5 pds of Flaked Wheat might be off and wanted to verify? I've not used Flaked Wheat before and a question was posed (and unanswered) if the volume was to high? Does this look accurate for a Belgian Blonde?

That is a LOT of flaked wheat. Not saying you couldn't use that much, but it is a ton. I'm also pretty sure you need to mash it along with base malt. I don't believe it has the enzymes to convert itself.

You'd still get beer, but I wouldn't brew that recipe as it's listed here.

EDIT: If I were to brew something similar to that and assuming you can mash up to about 5lbs of grain (assuming this) I'd do something like...

2lbs Pils Malt
1 lb Wheat Malt
2lbs Flaked Wheat

and get the rest of your gravity from the extract.

OR

3lbs wheat malt
2lbs of flaked wheat

and the rest from extract.

That is a LOT of flaked wheat. Not saying you couldn't use that much, but it is a ton. I'm also pretty sure you need to mash it along with base malt. I don't believe it has the enzymes to convert itself.

You'd still get beer, but I wouldn't brew that recipe as it's listed here.

EDIT: If I were to brew something similar to that and assuming you can mash up to about 5lbs of grain (assuming this) I'd do something like...

2lbs Pils Malt
1 lb Wheat Malt
2lbs Flaked Wheat

and get the rest of your gravity from the extract.

OR

3lbs wheat malt
2lbs of flaked wheat

and the rest from extract.

Thanks! Was thinking the same thing too and maybe a typo. Saw a variation that is a little more in-line with what you have and was going to settle on this:

3 lb. Wheat DME
2 lb. Extra Lght DME
8 oz. Carahell
8 oz. Flaked Wheat
4 oz. Weyermann Vienna Malt
1 oz. Willamette

Thanks! Was thinking the same thing too and maybe a typo. Saw a variation that is a little more in-line with what you have and was going to settle on this:

3 lb. Wheat DME
2 lb. Extra Lght DME
8 oz. Carahell
8 oz. Flaked Wheat
4 oz. Weyermann Vienna Malt
1 oz. Willamette

That looks better, but I'd up the Vienna a bit. You'll need a little more to convert the Flaked wheat. You'd probably need closer to 1lb of Vienna. You could also just use a little bit of Pils malt to convert that flaked wheat. Pils malt is much more enzymatic than Vienna.

Try:

3lbs Wheat DME
2lbs Extra Light DME
8oz Carahell
8oz Pils malt (or 1lb Vienna)
8oz Flaked wheat

Mash (or steep) the grains around 150F for 30min or so.

That looks better, but I'd up the Vienna a bit. You'll need a little more to convert the Flaked wheat. You'd probably need closer to 1lb of Vienna. You could also just use a little bit of Pils malt to convert that flaked wheat. Pils malt is much more enzymatic than Vienna.

Try:

3lbs Wheat DME
2lbs Extra Light DME
8oz Carahell
8oz Pils malt (or 1lb Vienna)
8oz Flaked wheat

Mash (or steep) the grains around 150F for 30min or so.

Thanks! I have 8oz of Carapils on hand...would that help out in improving the bill?

Back