Strong scottish ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
Ok im getting things to ready to brew some beer for the winter. you guys helped me with my RIS recipe now here is a strong scottish ale I plan to brew let me know what you think and what you would change or keep the same and why. thanks this site rocks.

Bloody Scottish *****
------------------------
OG 1.080
FG 1.021
23' SRM
33.9 IBU
7.9 ABV
Mash Effic. 75%

Mash at 148F 90min

Grain bill
---------------------------
9.0 Amer Two-row pale
3.0 special Roast
2.0 Melanoidin Malt
0.8 caramel/crystal 120L
0.8 caramel/crystal malt-30L

Hops
-------------------------
1oz chinook 13.0 AA 45min
1oz Amarillo 7.0AA 15min
1/4oz Fuggles 4.5 5min

Wyeast British Ale (1098)

Whirlflock last 15 min of boil

was thinking of cutting the special B down to 2LB or so

That's a LOT of Special B and melanoidin malt! :eek:

Also, I'd reconsider any flavor and aroma additions. All the Scottish ales (including the Wee Heavy) showcase malt so I find any hop additions outside of a bittering charge out of place and conflicting with the malt character, though Daniels notes in 'Designing Great Beers' that dry-hopping with EKG or Fuggles was fairly common in those beers he surveyed.

Looks decent, the IBUs are a little high for my scotch ale tastes but are within parameters. I've never used special roast, so don't now how much roastiness it adds, personally I would also throw in some chocolate malt. But to each his own. Are you going to boil a long time?

I'll second Jason's observations, though I suspect he meant Special Roast, not Special B. ;)

Here's another place I find simplicity better. Scotch Ale is a style in which you can let your technique shine instead of the ingredients.

Use lots of Pale malt and a little Chocolate or Roasted Barley simply for color. Mash a touch higher than midrange for the body you'll otherwise get from specialty grains. Run off the first gallon or so into a hot kettle and let it go for a while until it's reduced by about half; you'll get some luscious caramelization from that.

I concur: flavor/aroma hops are totally out of place in Scottish Ales. You require just enough neutral bitterness to provide some balance to the malt. Scottish Ales should be malty-sweet beer, and Scotch Ale should be a malt-hammer.

Cheers,

Bob

. . . malt-hammer.

Cheers,

Bob

What a great name for a wee heavy "The Malt Hammer" I think I'll use it, although its another 15 days till I tap the keg so I don't know how malty it will end up but I'm sure at 8.92ABV I'll get hammered.:rockin:

Ok I have re-done this with grains and such i have on hand what you think will it be taisty or crappy.

10.10lb Amr 2 row pail
1.0 X-light dry malt extract
1.0 special roast
0.8 caramel/crystal 120L
0.8 melanoidin malt
0.3 chocolate malt

60min northern brewer
30min fuggles
Wyeast british ale

I may cut the special roast in half?? your thoughts??
I have all this on hand and if you guys done think Im nuts will be brewing it next weekend. Well I know im nuts so gonna brew hehe :)
The plan is to let it age untill at least this fall/winter

I would Like to thank you all for you help made this brew and it came out great will brew again. This is what it was in the end. Its my overly dark scottish 80/- :)

9lb american 2 row
6oz special B
6oz melanoidian malt
3oz caramel/crystal120
2oz chocolate malt

1oz northern brewer 60min
0.5oz fuggles 15min

Wyeast Bratish Ale(1098)
Mash at 148*F
Boiled down first gal. of runnings to 1 quart.
OG 1.045
FG 1.004
had pore efficency but it taste great even flat

what about rasing the mash temp to 154 to 156 i did mine at 156 and the body was very nice, but i am going to try yours cause that just sounds great, love my scotts:mug:

Two related comments:

- Mash higher! 148° is far too low for these styles
- 1.004! Holy cow, that's dry.

With that low a FG and the low mash temp, this beer is bound to be incredibly light bodied.

Yes it has lite body to it and is not true to style but taste great. I was shooting for a higher OG but got pour efficency. Was planning on around a 1.051 or so and came up way short. Next time I will drink less home brew on brew day :). It came out a very tasty beer though. the low FG was a suprise to me didn't think I would get that low

I think the next go around I will mash a Little higher but come next summer im gonna shoot for the dry 1.004 again. This is a great hot day beer how it is.

Latest posts

Back