Stout 1 gallon recipe from "BeerCraft" book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartbeer81

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm brewing the one gallon all grain recipe from the great "BeerCraft" book tomorrow, and everything seems fine (I've put the numbers into Beer Calculus), except the amount of bittering hops. The recipe calls for 20 grams of 9.5AA Target hops at 60 minutes. This calculates to about 144 IBU! All the recipes in the book seem to be right on except for the bittering hop amounts. Are these correct? Does the small batch size require this change?

Thanks!!

um. 20 grams is less than 1 oz. There's no way you get 144 IBU from .75ish ounce of hops. Are you sure you didn't tell it you were using 20 oz?

um. 20 grams is less than 1 oz. There's no way you get 144 IBU from .75ish ounce of hops. Are you sure you didn't tell it you were using 20 oz?

For a one gallon batch, that's what beersmith says it is with an OG of about 1.055. Consider that a 5 gallon batch could use 1oz of a 9.5% AA hop for bittering, I would cut it down to about .2-.25oz.

20 grams is about 3/4 of an oz, correct? So in a 5 gallon batch that would equal 3.5 oz of bittering hops - or am I missing something??

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back