The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #781
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewed505
How close is the warlock taste to the pumking? Or are they completely different?
They taste very similar. I know they say its an imperial stout but to me it doesnt resemble a stout. I have had both and I said it was Pumking brewed with debittered black malts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #782
jnr1005
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 59

So I never got below 1.032 for my final gravity with the Ringwood yeast. I tried "rousing" the yeast by moving to a secondary, I added another starter...I tried everything I could think of. We finially bottled it after 28 days (14 days at exact same attenuation).

I can smell the grahm crackers (we used a box of them in the mash), and the overall beer seems to have a good quaility to it. (Used vanilla beans soaked in whipped cream vodka). Here's to hoping it carbs up and taste good

Brewing:
Secondary: Golden Draak Similar, 4 gallons of Cider...and 4 empty buckets!!!!!
Kegged: Lagunitas Brown Shugga, Mojave Red & Zombie Dust
Bottled: Bad Santa, Pumpking, Lagunitas Maximus, Amber Ale
Kicked: Amber Ale, Oktoberfast, De Trubble wit de Dubble, Lagunitas Maximus

Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #783
homebrewed505
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just racked to secondary today. I added my spice tea and vanilla tincture. OG 1.072 FG 1.08
ABV 8.2%. Everything smells and tastes great so far. December it should be ready to drink can't wait

Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #784
BUCKNUTS
Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Bottled my pumpkin ale with the pumpkin pie extract and while it tastes ok it is not pumking. How do they achieve such a light colored beer using pumpkin in the mash? I used only 2 row and light crystal malt but the beer is very orange from the pumpkin in the mash. An orange colored pumpkin ale is not a bad thing unless of course you are trying to formulate a clone recipe for pumking which is the point of this thread.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #785
Sbarnard80
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
This whole question of whether they use extracts versus spices is really tiresome. Who f****ing cares?! We'll never know exactly what they use, so whatever it takes to get a reasonable approximation is a success.
I agree. With a beer this difficult to get straight, IMHO first try to get it to taste like it, BY ANY MEANS POSSIBLE, and then see what kind of substitutions and options work without altering it - not everyone has access to the same ingredients and like others, I'm probably not going to spend an extra $10 on an ingredient when I already have something in the house I feel will work.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #786
Sbarnard80
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I love pumpking beer and I love these posts. Thanks to everyone for your contributions. I recorded the original recipe way back from page 20 and made alterations as I read through the rest of the posts. All in all, pretty minor though.

Given my love of blind taste testing, in preparation for brewing this after Thanksgiving, I decided to run to the grocery store and pull together 2 tinctures to compare before adding them to the secondary. Per some of the previous comments, I do feel like leaving them out of the boil will strengthen the flavor and allow a little bit more control. So after fermentation, but in the secondary so it has time to mellow out so I can taste it on bottling day and make some adjustments if I do feel it needs some tweaking. Granted, I won't be able to control how this final add changes over time, but all in all, seems like this process will give me the best control and the best preview of what the final product will taste like before bottling.

So I essentially am putting all the spices and flavoring into the secondary. Below is a description of the #1 option in the picture. I had some mason jars so seemed like a good use. Both are added to 4 oz of rum - thinking about the taste and what I usually associate with the different liquors, I decided to go with rum rather than vodka - I know others have used vodka but a couple of people have also mentioned rum, so figured I'd just go with my gut on this one. My Publix had the butter and nut extract and when I opened it, I must admit it smells very much like what I remember of ST's (been a few months since I had one).

I wanted a comparison of some form and found a bottle of vanilla rum in the basement, also an impetus for using rum instead of vodka. I opened it up and dang, smells even a little buttery on top of the vanilla. So my #2 is using the vanilla rum and dialing back the cinnamon (2 sticks)and upping the butter vanilla extract as well to 1/2 tsp. Also cut back the allspice to 1/4. Reason for this combination is to create a contrast for #1 and also, when I take a deep whiff of #1, before its had a chance to age, but still, it seems like its too spicy. I remember ST being more sweet and buttery with just a lite spice to it.

Not sure what I am going to do to test these, probably like others have suggested and use an eyedropper into probably a low spice pumpkin ale of some sort with a bottle of ST next to it as the standard and see which tincture option and how much best matches. Then off to the races into the secondary. Will do it again during bottling.

BTW, am planning on adding the graham crackers and libby's pumpkin (after cooking) to the strike water. Per some previous comments, want it to mix pretty well before pouring onto the grains (including the rice hulls).

Will update as I make progress. I love this experiment stuff!

Tincture #1
Added to Secondary:
• 3 tsp Natural vanilla extract
• 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
• 1/2 tbsp Ground ginger
• 3 Cinnamon sticks (broken up)
• 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
• 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp Ground allspice
• 1/4 tsp. McCormick Vanilla Butter & Nut Extract

pumpking-tincture-test.jpg  

Old 12-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #787
Sbarnard80
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I finally got to brewing my clone recipe last night. If it werent for the stuck sparge, would have gone fine. Third time and I have had it - top priority on my fix list.

Similar to what others have done, I baked the pumpkin in a casserole dish on 350 for 45 minutes. Added the honey on top and then added a box (15oz) of crushed graham crackers 15min in. Smelled good! I was concerned about a stuck sparge (and rightfully so as it turns out) so I thought to add the whole mess into my strike water to sufficiently hydrate it before adding to the mash. Seemed to work well. Still very watery and then just ladelled onto the grain bed with a sauce pan as usual. Even added 1/2lb of rice hulls to help filter out the stickier pieces.

Despite the stuck sparge, had good efficiency and hit my target gravity of 1.082. Used a yeast starter of WLP005 (ringwood strain) as others have suggested to get that buttery flavor.

#1 and #2 tinctures are still sitting there, waiting for transfer into the secondary. Bubbling like mad all day. Will updated next week.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #788
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Has anyone else noticed that this discussion amounts to around a hundred "Here's my Recipe" posts, and almost zero "Here's how it turned out" posts. Boo.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #789
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
Has anyone else noticed that this discussion amounts to around a hundred "Here's my Recipe" posts, and almost zero "Here's how it turned out" posts. Boo.
True... But at least this thread did not turn into a how much should I tip at dinner thread... or whatever they did in that thread that derailed it for 20 some pages haha
On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 12-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #790
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 148

However, next weekend when I get home, I will post my recipe, tasting notes, pictures, and anything else I can think of. It has been sitting since 7 May. I used the Mccormick's butter and nut extract.

Side note... FINALLY I will be able to change my location to somewhere nice...

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Quick Reply