Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #641
savylemons
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed the recipe around page 58 this last weekend. I was concerned about the graham crackers lowering the mash temperature so blended them in with the two cans of pumpkin and roasted both for an hour in the oven. The graham cracker aroma filled my house while cooking it and after letting it cool off to around 160 i added it in the mash and the mash temp didn't change a degree. During the sparge process all the runoff smelled intensely of graham crackers, and i was hoping that the boil wouldn't boil off the awesome aroma but the post-boil chilled wort gravity sample smelled just like a freshly opened bag of graham crackers. I have the spices and vanilla bean soaking in vodka now which i will add to the keg by taste but I have a good feeling about this one. I'll update when its finished.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #642
BUCKNUTS
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgbrewer
I think I've found the secret to cloning this beer: Pumpkin Pie Extract.

I've tried several clone attempts with different variations on recipes in this forum, and the big thing I've noticed is that all of them produce good pumpkin spice ales, but none have the aroma or flavor of Pumking. I work at a brewery and we use a lot of extracts in our flavored beers from Silver Cloud Estates with great results, so I looked through their website and sure enough they have a pumpkin pie extract. I've been pulling pints out of my already kegged Pumking clone and adding drops of this stuff and I gotta tell you, its got the Pumking flavor and aroma in spades. I'm going to do some more sampling with different strengths of this stuff, then I'll be sure to post how much per gallon I end up using.

A link to the extract website:
http://www.silvercloudestates.com/pr...ct.aspx?id=807
So any thoughts yet on how much of the pumpkin pie extract to use per gallon? I have thia ordered and on the way

Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #643
elixir
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I ordered the pumpkin pie extract too, i did gdlaws recipe but mine ended up like pumking clone on steroids im at 12.2% abv today. Pretty much pushing the limits of us05. The taste is very good but not sure if ill use the pumpkin pie extract on this batch, I have to make another batch to test it.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #644
bulldawgbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I get the diecetyl butter flavor, as well as graham cracker, and no off flavors if you don't over-do it. I haven't yet done the full batch, I'm waiting on it to carbonate in the keg right now. I wanted to add a little at a time after carbonation to make sure the aroma isn't overwhelming. When adding the extract to the flat beer before kegging, I was getting great aroma and flavor with around 5 drops per 12oz of beer. I tried doing more, but it goes from great to overwhelming really quickly so be careful. I'll probably scale up 4 drops per 12 oz to start, stir it up, pour a sample, try it, repeat, and go from there with small additions until its right.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #645
elixir
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I get the diecetyl butter flavor, as well as graham cracker, and no off flavors if you don't over-do it. I haven't yet done the full batch, I'm waiting on it to carbonate in the keg right now. I wanted to add a little at a time after carbonation to make sure the aroma isn't overwhelming. When adding the extract to the flat beer before kegging, I was getting great aroma and flavor with around 5 drops per 12oz of beer. I tried doing more, but it goes from great to overwhelming really quickly so be careful. I'll probably scale up 4 drops per 12 oz to start, stir it up, pour a sample, try it, repeat, and go from there with small additions until its right.
I want to use this at bottling, I bought a 4oz bottle. Maybe 1oz for 5 gallons? That website has some awesome extracts! I'm wondering if this is where cigar city gets some of theirs. They also have cookies and cream extract mmm.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #646
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
How are there extracts made differently than Capella's? It's still artificial right?

Old 09-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #647
bulldawgbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
How are there extracts made differently than Capella's? It's still artificial right?
They have a natural version as well as an artificial version. I'm not sure how its made or how it differs from Capella's...all I know is that we use a lot of their other extracts (not the pumpkin pie) at our brewery (Terrapin) for one-off's and if it works for a microbrewery then why not a homebrewer. I plan on doing the full-batch extract process on Monday, so I'll post my results then.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #648
raef
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgbrewer View Post
They have a natural version as well as an artificial version. I'm not sure how its made or how it differs from Capella's...all I know is that we use a lot of their other extracts (not the pumpkin pie) at our brewery (Terrapin) for one-off's and if it works for a microbrewery then why not a homebrewer. I plan on doing the full-batch extract process on Monday, so I'll post my results then.
Its monday lol. Just looking forward to your next post.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #649
jnr1005
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have read this entire thing today...whew. (Tried Pumking for the first time yesterday and wanted to cry that we only bought one bottle...) I am going to prep everything we need to attempt the recipe on page 57/58. I may tweak a few things based upon other comments, but even if its not exactly Pumking, I will be happy with a delicious pumpkin ale.

If anyone that brewed this wants to update on the end results...much appreciated

Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #650
mallob9
Recipes 

I'm going to attempt one of these this weekend hopefully. Thanks for all of the information! I'll report back afterward.

Quick Reply