New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #101
ThomEHof
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale View Post
I should point out that after roasting the peeled/cubed pumpkins, I mashed them using a potato masher. I think spread it all out on baking sheets and tempered in the oven at 152°F right before adding to the mash. This way, it didn't have to be considered in terms of mash temperature, only water absorption.
When you say large pumpkin, can I get more details?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #102
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Seems like that time of year to revive this thread again. Really researching how to try and do this beer, and I'd love to hear an update from those of you that posted last year.

What would you do differently? Were you happy with your results? Are you trying it again this year?

Let's talk pumpkin beers again.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 07-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #103
Bonesey
Recipes 

Going to make this beer in a few weeks, except with sweet potatoes. Should I use fresh or powdered ginger?

Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #104
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
Going to make this beer in a few weeks, except with sweet potatoes. Should I use fresh or powdered ginger?
Definitely use candied ginger, not the others.

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #105
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2670 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 2181

I love Pumking. I've attempted to clone 3 years in a row. I am getting close (just had one of this year's clones last night). Can't wait to do a direct comparison.

Here are the keys (IMO).

• Either mash at a high temp or use lactose. Need to keep the FG up a bit. Also, needs that residual sweetness that pumking has.
  • Use very little cinnamon. I think I went with that 0.12oz recommendation from earlier in this thread (or elsewhere).
  • Lotsa vanilla.
  • Lotsa ginger.
Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #106
Bonesey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I love Pumking. I've attempted to clone 3 years in a row. I am getting close (just had one of this year's clones last night). Can't wait to do a direct comparison.

Here are the keys (IMO).
  • Either mash at a high temp or use lactose. Need to keep the FG up a bit. Also, needs that residual sweetness that pumking has.
  • Use very little cinnamon. I think I went with that 0.12oz recommendation from earlier in this thread (or elsewhere).
  • Lotsa vanilla.
  • Lotsa ginger.

fresh or candied ginger?

Old 07-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #107
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2670 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
fresh or candied ginger?
I used dry ground ginger (spice rack) and vanilla bean originally. At the end of fermentation, I did a taste test and decided to add more of both.

So I then added a bunch of candied ginger (that I already had), as well as some real vanilla extract.
Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #108
Lodovico
Recipes 

So I actually spoke with someone at ST last night. He didn't give me specifics but told me that they use an alcohol based spice mixture of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and cloves. He told me that he's heard of people having success on a smaller scale making a tincture using 151 and their spices. He said it's all added after it ferments out.

I know he's not telling me the WHOLE story because there is certainly vanilla in this beer. But cool that he shared some information.

mjcooper42 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #109
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i spoke with the head brewer last year and my info is quite different, but my clone attempt was horrid.. i believe it was way over spiced. He was VERY VERY VERY reluctant to give any information but never mentioned anything about doing a tincture and he also said add at the last 10 mins of the boil.. i guess take my advice and what lodovico said with a grain of salt or something.. not sure what to believe on this beer they just wont talk much.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #110
Lodovico
Recipes 

Did any of you that added canned pumpkin or canned pumpkin pie filling end up with what literally looks like a pumpkin pie on the top of your fermenter? Mine has been in primary for 10 days so I decided to take a reading. I took off the top and had to poke down through about a half inch of pumpkin sludge to get to the beer.

And I'm talking thick sludge. Not like sediment floating in beer. Sludge. It did not taste like I expected. It's only down to 1.020 but I was shooting for a high OG. I haven't had an infected beer in 4 years of brewing, but I'm wondering what's going on with this or if it's normal for all of the pie can additives to collect at the top like this.

What do you think?

Quick Reply