Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Sources for water salts/minerals..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Sources for water salts/minerals..

Thought it's be nice to compose a list of alternative sources for some water adjustment salts/minerals as I have had some difficulty in sourcing much of these from other than on-line HBS. I am curious if anyone knows of said sources.

In my search I did come across a FAQ that states the Crayola Anti-Dust chalk is compressed Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3). And that the non-dust free (sidewalk) versions are made of compressed Gypsum.

Gypsum (CaSO4: Crayola Sidewalk Chalk (White)
Cal. Carb (CaCO3): Crayola Anti-Dust Chalk (White)

Also as most know,

MgSO4 = Epsom Salt
NaHCO3 = Baking Soda

Anyone got a source for Calcium Chloride?

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 09-14-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't know man, how can we be sure that there is nothing else in the crayola products and that it's safe to consume? It's not like the LHBS price for powdered CaCO3 etc is that much more expensive.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Yeah. I hear you on that. I did come across a MSDS that listed only CaCO3 as an ingredient on the anti-Dust stuff.

My problem is, with the calcium chloride, i'll be using quit a bit of it per brewday and the largest volume he has is maybe an ounce or two. He doesn't stock much of it so, I'd get 2 bottles at a time and I have to drive nearly a half hour to get there.

Just thought I'd look for some alternatives to paying shipping costs.

Edit:

Came across this on the Crayola. "Certified AP nontoxic by the Art and Craft Materials Institute and conforms to ASTM D-4236."

12 Sticks of the Crayola runs $0.79 at Office Depot. A 4 Ounce bag at (my) LHBS is $3.00.

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 09-14-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Calcium chloride is used in desiccants and ice melt but I'd be even more suspect of additional elements being present.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

10 lbs of food grade calcium chloride for $42, shipped. 26 cents per ounce.

LINK

Last edited by JKoravos; 09-23-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Someone had talked of using dry-wall as a source for gypsum, I wouldn't do that though..

The raw gypsum, CaSO4·2 H2O, (mined or obtained from flue gas desulfurization (FGD)) must be calcined before use. Kettle or Flash calciners typically use natural gas today. The plaster is mixed with fiber (typically paper and/or fiberglass), plasticizer, foaming agent, potash as an accelerator, EDTA, starch or other chelate as a retarder, various additives that increase mildew and fire resistance (fiberglass or vermiculite), wax emulsion for lower water absorption and water. This is then formed by sandwiching a core of wet gypsum between two sheets of heavy paper or fiberglass mats. When the core sets and is dried in a large drying chamber, the sandwich becomes rigid and strong enough for use as a building material. [3]

As for getting calcium chloride, gypsum or other brewing salts in bulk, I just emailed Ed from BrewMasters Warehouse and he said he'd sell me a pound for a lot cheaper than the per oz price, so check out that as a source.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #7
N2nuThings
Recipes 

Another source for Calcium Carbonate is TUMS the antacid!

Quick Reply