Smoked Honey Porter - Help? Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChef17

Reaction score
Ok so I have been working on this recipe for a smoked honey porter and was wondering what everyone thought about it. I want it to have a nice touch of honey without being over powering and the same goes for the smokiness.

Smokey the Bear Honey Porter - 5gal Batch
7# Maris Otter
1# Smoked Malt
12oz Chocolate Malt
10oz Flaked Barely
8oz Crystal - 60L
4oz Black Patent
1# Honey - Flame out
1oz Progress - 6.25% - 60m
1oz East Kent Goldings - 5% -25m
1t Irish Moss - 10m

total grain bill= 10# 2oz
adjunts = 1#

est. OG: 1.060
est. FG: 1.010
est. ABV: 6.5%
IBUs: 38.1
Color: 32.6 SRM

10.5gal Aluminum Kettle on a propane burner

I still have not settled on which yeast I should use. And I will be brewing using a BIAB setup. The grains will be added to 6gal of water with a strike temp of 165F and steeped at 156F for 60m. Mash out for 10M at 168F. excess wort will be gently squeezed from the grains

If this is a five pound batch I'd cut down on the smoked malt and do half a pound. I'd also put some honey malt in there, at least a half a pound. For the yeast I'd suggest 1084 it's my go to for dark beers. But I've had good results with 1028 also.

I second the suggestion of adding some honey malt in there somewhere. It also might be helpful to think about what type of honey you are going to use, darker honey (like buckwheat) might lend more flavor. I hear orange blossom honey can be interesting as well...

Ok so I reduced the smoked malt down to 8oz and added in 8oz of honey malt. For yeast I am now looking at WLP004 (Irish Ale Yeast) or WLP023 (Burtons Ale Yeast) I think I am leaning towards 023. Wyeast is out since my LHBS only carries White Labs. Only change in overall recipe is the est FG is now 1.014 with a ABV of 6%

I didn't really think about what type of honey I was going to use. But since you brought up buckwheat that does sound like it would fit in nicely. I will have to stop at Wegmans before next week and see what I can find. If not I know the Weis down the street has Orange blossom honey I used for a batch of mead and that will have to suffice.

I also plan on bottling with 3.75 oz of honey to obtain 2.1vols of CO2

I did a search for "buckwheat honey smoke porter" and this thread came up. I know it's an old thread, but I'm curious how this recipe turned out. Thanks!

Back