rhubarb rye feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtratcliff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted this to the recipe database but I'm looking for some feed back. Especially the hopping schedule.

here's what I posted in the recipe database:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/rhubarb-rye-412780/

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 22.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 12.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 65 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 65F
Tasting Notes: nice tartness from the rhubarb complements the mild spiciness of the rye

Fermentables

Total grain: 13.000 lb
Name Amount % Color
2 Row 7.000 lb 54% 2.0 srm
Rye Malt 3.000 lb 23% 5.0 srm
Munich 1.500 lb 12% 9.0 srm
Carared 1.000 lb 8% 20.0 srm
Special B 8.000 oz 4% 160.0 srm

Hops

Name Alpha Amount Time IBU
Fuggles 4.5% 0.500 oz 60 min 5.5
Cascade 6.0% 0.300 oz 30 min 3.4
Columbus 17.5% 0.300 oz 30 min 9.9
Fuggles 4.5% 0.500 oz 20 min 3.3

Misc in Secondary

1 Vanilla bean (split and scraped)
5 lb Rhubarb (chopped, frozen & thawed)

Mash at 154 F for 1 hour.

Rack onto vanilla bean & rhubarb after primary fermentation finishes. Secondary for another 7-14 days.

This has a nice ruby color and crisp, tart flavor. You can tell it is rhubarb but it doesn't over power. It needs a little bit of time to condition. Early tastes (after only a few weeks in the bottle) were a little vegetal. Give it at least a month or two.

Very refreshing summer brew.

I've only made it once and it didn't last long enough to tell what happens with age. It was a hit with my German wife and her German friends (auf Deutsch ist: Rhabarber Roggenbier).

I couldn't find a good rhubarb ale recipe so I pieced together something from other fruit beers and rye ale recipes. I'd never done a roggenbier and liked the alliteration of Rhubarb Rye.

This was probably the 1st recipe I came up with kinda on my own. Looking at the hop schedule a year later, I'm not sure what I was thinking ... but it came out tasty!

I went with S-05 since i figured the rhubarb would hide most the yeast character anyway, so why not use something clean. And more importantly, I had some in the fridge

I thought I'd share, since my rhubarb is about ready to pick. I've ordered the ingredients and will make it again soon.

Back