recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjones

Reaction score
hey i have been away from brewing for a while and decided to brew today. My problem is i have these ingredients but a can't remember what it was gonna make or where a found the recipe. i would appreciate any help.

here is what i have:

1# 12oz. of flaked rice.
4.5# pilsner
4.5# two row

2 oz liberty hops
us 05 yeast

At 75% efficiency and 75% yeast attenuation, I show:

OG - 1.054
FG - 1.013
SRM - 3
IBU's - 2 oz 4% AA liberty hop pellets @ 60 minutes - 25.1
ABV - 5.5%

this would be a pale ale. Although, the Pilsner and Rice may put it into a different category.

Source: http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

You can mess around with your recipe in the link I gave you.

I always concern myself about the balance between malt and hops so that's why I added the 2 oz's for 60 minutes.

1 oz at 60 and 1 oz at 15 will put your IBU's around 20.

That sure doesn't look like anything like a pale ale to me! Rice is almost never in a pale ale (they are usually 100% malt), and those hops aren't something you'd find in a pale ale as there aren't any late hops.

Looks like a cream ale. The grainbill is like that of an American light lager, but without lager yeast it'd be an ale. I'd ferment it cool, at 65 degrees or so if you're using the S05.

That's an american lager grain bill my friend, or an american pilsner. what's the rice for?

Back