Question about Base Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man-O-Leisure

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am planning on, for my first brew, to do more like 4 small batches over a couple of days.

My idea is to do a Stout (something like Guinness), a Wheat (Something like Hoegaarden), an Amber (Something like Drop Top) and a Kolsch or a Saison, havent decided o n that yet..

My question basically is, do these different styles use the same kind of Base Malt? Trying to see what i can do to buy in bulk to save money, and wondering if i am possible to do those styles using the same base malt.

Thanks in advance!

Stout - Maris Otter
Wheat - Wheat, with 2-row or pilsner
Amber - 2-row or Maris Otter
Kolsch - Pilsner
Saison - Pilsner or 2-row

That's what I would use, but you could always try whatever you like. You can look up tons of recipes online to see what people have success using.

Normally, no, these styles would not use the same base malts. The Irish stout would most likely use Maris Otter. The Belgian witbier would use a combination of unmalted wheat and Belgian pilsner or Belgian pale malt. The Drop Top (I'm not familiar, but would assume this to be an American Amber) would likely use US 2-row.

However, all of these malts are similar (I.e., all malted barley, except the wheat, of course) and unless you were planning on entering your brews in a competition (even then I probably wouldn't worry too much), you could certainly brew all of those beers with US 2-row or a pale ale malt for the barley base and they would be just fine.

You could use a 2-row (like Maris Otter) for all of them, you'll just get a *slightly* thinner / maltier beverage than expected. The Kolsch would take some, though...

Yep - 2-row can always substitute where barley is concerned, but if you're spending all the time and doing all the work I'd use the right stuff. The costs aren't that much different and worth it in my opinion. As far as wheat, there really isn't a substitute.

Thanks for the replies guys.. worth a try to see if possible but all god.. ill use the same ones where possible and where not then all good, i want to try some different styles so probably best anyways to try different ingredients to get to know them!

Hi guys, i am planning on, for my first brew, to do more like 4 small batches over a couple of days.

My idea is to do a Stout (something like Guinness), a Wheat (Something like Hoegaarden), an Amber (Something like Drop Top) and a Kolsch or a Saison, havent decided o n that yet..

My question basically is, do these different styles use the same kind of Base Malt? Trying to see what i can do to buy in bulk to save money, and wondering if i am possible to do those styles using the same base malt.

Thanks in advance!

As has been posted those beers use several different base malts. If you want to simplify the inventory I'd suggest a German pale ale malt like Weyermann's. It has enough flavor to make a decent ale like the stout and amber while at the same time is light enough to sub for pilsner malt in the Heffe, Kilsch and Saison.

One last question about malts.. say i wanted to make a kolsch or a saison, even some kind of easy drinking summer ale, have a nice aroma and taste of honey, nothing too sweet, just a nice flavor (ive had some hones ales or some summer ales before that had a nice honey smell and flavour), whats best? Use a Honey Malt or actual honey?

Honey and honey malt are fairly different beasts. I've never seen honey malt here in the UK, but honey is mainly sugar and will ferment out. This gives some honey aroma but a very dry finish. I've not tried with a saison, but it could end up *too* dry due to the way the saison yeast munches away pretty much everything. That said, I like a good braggawd.

Latest posts

Back