Pointers on an IBA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helvard

Reaction score
I would appreciate any pointers, comments and advice on this recipe:

Batch volume 11 liters (roughly 2,5 gallons)

Pale Malt 2500 g
Special B 200 g
Vienna 300 g
Chocolate Malt 0 g

Hops
Northdown 8.4% alpha 15 g 60 minutes
Northdown 8.4% alpha 10 g 15 minutes
Tettnanger 3.8% alpha 10 g 10 minutes
Tettnanger 3.8% alpha 20 g 5 minutes
Styrian Golding 4.0% alpha 50 g dry hopped

Fermentation
Yeast: Safale S-04

Planning on adding the chocolate malt the last 10 minute of the mash.

Sorry for the metric units - I'm from Denmark :)

I've brewed with Special B before, and really appreciate the flavor it brought to that brew.

I'm looking for an 'accessible' IBA - nice hop aroma and flavor without being too overwhelming!

It should be said that this is my first all-grain attempt after six semi-grain batches, all of which have been huge successes - in my humble opinion.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet!

Black IPA
American Style Black IPA
India Black Ale

There are many names being thrown around for this hybrid style of beer. What I'm aiming at is an IPA but with a bit more umph - hence the Special B and late addition chocolate malt.

My only tip is that special B is a super powerful malt with very "Raisin-like" flavors. Looks like 6.5% of your grain bill is Special B. I would drop this to 3-5% if it were me but if you want that flavor to pop keep it like it is. Can you get Munich Malt? It adds a nice malty backbone to IPA styles.

Also, you show 0g of Chocolate Malt. I'm no expert in metric but I'm pretty sure that is the same as 0 ounces. ;)

I really do appreciate the Special B, so I think I'll keep it at its current level.

True about the Chocolate, the recipe program I use (Beercalc) doesn't allow me to add grains at various mash steps, and if I add it, it assumes I will mash it the entire mash - I intend to add it in the last 10 minutes primarily for color.

Thanks for the suggestion of Munich - might try it if I brew it again another time.

Back