Papazian Recipe Error?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmeice86

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm getting ready for my first all-grain batch, which is going to be Papazian's "Gopher Greatness Oktoberfest" from his "Joy of Homebrewing." My problem is that he lists .5 oz of Perle hops (for 4 HBU) as the boiling hops and then 1 oz. Hallertauer for flavor (these are 4.5 AAU's,) but the end IBU value is listed as 20. This doesn't add up to me. Is this beer going to be extremely underhopped?

Thanks!

You're comparing apples to oranges (actually HBU's to IBU's). They are not the same thing. I would think that 1/2 oz of Perle would get you fairly close to 20 IBU's, and the Hallertauer would make up the difference.

-a.

No it's correct as is. HBU and IBU is not the same thing. HBU is just the quantity of hops times the % Alpha Acids, so 0.5oz x 8% AA is 4 HBU's. The beer will indeed be around 20 IBU's.

I know this is an old post, but I am about to brew my first all grain batch and I was hoping to use this recipe. But when I put it into BeerSmith I get the following calculations:

1.056 OG
19 IBUs
7.5 SRM
5.4% ABV

Which seems to be a little light colored and under hopped for the style.

Has anyone else brewed this? How did it compare to other Marzens you've had?

I think it would have been damned good, but I forgot the iodine test (it was my first all grain batch) so the starch never converted... It tasted like it could have been amazing, but at 0.5%, it went down the bath tub drain.

Back