pale ale crowd pleaser recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steiner

Reaction score
Hey everyone-
I'm looking for an extract recipe for a balanced crowd pleasing beer. The people typically drink Bud Light and Corona and I wanted to know if you had any pale ale recipes you would recommend. I'm not looking for a clone but basically anything not too hoppy or bitter. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot.:mug:

So you want a pale ale (pale describing the color of ale) or a pale ale (as in the style)? Because if you are looking for something like BMC/Corona and not hoppy then a pale ale (the category) wouldn't be the way to go IMO.

I would recommend a cream ale, a blond ale, a kolsch, or if you can lager a Helles would be a good choice.

Thanks. Not necessarily set on the pale ale style, but it's what I had in mind. Like a mellow amber or APA would work. Not looking at something to brew like BMC or Corona, but just wanted to give you an idea of what they like. Nothing with too much of a bite, that's all.

Any feedback on this EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, LS? A cream ale could work- I never thought of that. So would a blonde or kolsch like you suggested, beerrific. I don't have lagering capability unfortunately. I'll think a little more about it. Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming folks.

I just did a batch of a Dog Fish Head Shelter Pale Ale clone (Similar to EdWort's Haus Ale) for a group of BMC drinkers. They emptied the keg. What I've found giving that group samples of my brews, is that the high bitterness IPA's are the ones to stay away from. The bitter beers are much more of an aquired taste.

Steiner said:
Any feedback on this EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, LS?
Not from me. You'll have to read the thread where he posted it. We're doing a group brew this weekend and it'll be one of the 3 beers we're doing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31793

I also thought that a Belgian Wit (Hoegaarden/Blue Moon) might be a good route to go with that crowd. Most BMC drinkers that have tried mine really liked it.

I LOVE Edworts Pale Ale recipe- as does my husband. But we're dedicated craft beer drinkers. I think I'd still love it, but I think you might want a cream ale, or that Brewer's Best Kit called some thing like "American Light".

Any APA (the style) is great as far as I'm concerned and I consider it a light sessions beer, but for the BMC crowd, a cream ale or Blue Moon clone is probably more in their taste.

Hey Yoop,It appears that you've changed your screen-name(I've been away from the brew thing for a short while) The new name's cool (also really like the avatar-Did you do that yourself ?) I've an issue with(off topic) a early batch of wine that I'll p.m. you about if that's ok.

Back on subject--EdWorts Haus Pale ROCKS !!

:tank: Ok thanks for the input. I've decided to go for either a blonde or a cream ale. I'm going to run by the LHBS tomorrow so if you've got any recipe suggestions, now would be the time. Oh ya, extract recipe with steeping grains only please. EdWort's Haus PA sounds good, but I'm not ready for AG. Keep in mind, I'm looking for a mild crowd pleaser for regular Bud and Corona drinkers. Looking for hops to take a back seat on this one hopheads, nothing too bitter or out of the ordinary. Thanks a bunch!

You definitely want to go with a Blonde. A pale ale is a bit much with at least twice the hops as a BMC. Basically, a blonde is a no-adjunct version of a BMC done as an ale instead of a lager. Light in body, low on IBU.

I agree with the Blonde Ale contingent. I ferement mine with WLP029 and call it my Haus Kölsch. It comes in at about 4.5%, SRM of about 4 and the WLP029 balances the 30 IBU's very nicely making it my most popular brew with the BMC crowd.

Sounds good. I appreciate your guys' input. On the database, so far I've only found AG recipes for a blonde. I'll see what I can find elsewhere too. Let me know if you've got any recommendations.

Ok, found this. Seems really basic. Let me know what you think or you've got other suggestions. And what is whirfloc?

Long Legged Blonde

OG: 1.041 – 1.045
FG: 1.008 – 1.012
ABV: 4.4%
IBU: 22

INGREDIENTS FOR 5 GALLONS

5.0 lbs. Light DME
0.5 lbs. Crystal 15oL
1.0 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets (5% AA) – 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets (5% AA) – 2 min.
1 vial Wyeast 1056 American Ale / WLP001
1 tablet Whirfloc
4.9 oz. Corn Sugar (priming) – bottling

that sounds right on. Maybe cut the bittering hops back to 3/4oz, as pellets are more potent. cascade is the bomb hop, my personal favorite, but maybe flavor with a noble hop, like a light lager might. I actually brewed a very similar recipe recently, but I used too much(1.6oz) boiling hops(cascade), and not enough crystal malt. Ther result is too bitter, and not enough body to support that bitterness. I liked it, but it was supposed to be my table beer and it wasn't quite there.

I'm going to go with this:
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

Got an extract conversion (thanks BierMuncher). Seems like it's been through more testing ground.
Thanks for the help!

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I'd like that recipe, but i think it'll end up too hoppy for your audience. the IBU number isn't what's offensive, but all those late hop additions will put a big hop nose on it that i don't think will jive with the crowd you're trying to please. i could be wrong. there's only one way to find out!

Steiner said:
I'm going to go with this:
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

Got an extract conversion (thanks BierMuncher). Seems like it's been through more testing ground.
Thanks for the help!

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Let us know how it turns out. Make sure not to use Laaglanders brand of DME.

Thanks for chiming in BM, being that this is your recipe.
Senor, what would you recommend instead, because I am concerned about being over-hopped for the audience? I realize now that we may be tweaking with the beer balance, but just wanted some tips. I'll be brewing tomorrow most likely.

Looking forward to it either way. Thanks a lot everyone!

Steiner said:
Thanks for chiming in BM, being that this is your recipe.
Senor, what would you recommend instead, because I am concerned about being over-hopped for the audience? I realize now that we may be tweaking with the beer balance, but just wanted some tips. I'll be brewing tomorrow most likely.

Looking forward to it either way. Thanks a lot everyone!

I actually dialed down the hops a bit for you. And since you’re doing a DME partial boil, your utilization will be even lower. (A higher concentration of sugars in the boil knocks down the hops utilization). If anything, you’re hops bitterness will be on the low side, but since you’re serving this as a relatively “fresh” beer (not a lot of aging) the hops will be pretty nicely balanced.

A 16.8 IBU is very close to a BMC style.

Latest posts

Back