Orange beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
I heard about some sort of award winning beer that was essentially a witbeer with a whole orange (pureed in a food processor) added in the last few minutes of the boil. Has anyone tried or heard of a recipe like this?

Agreed. Just started drink the orange kolsch and it is great. Will be especially good on a hot summer day.
tom

I ended up taking the grain bill and hopping schedule for an Allagash White clone recipe except I grated the peels and juiced two oranges and threw that in with some coriander at the end of the boil. The wort ended up being a nice deep orange color...looks pretty interesting. If its worth a darn, I'll post the recipe....

So this "orange wheat" has been sitting in primary for about 3 weeks now, and I'm going to bottle later today. I pulled a sample yesterday for a gravity and taste test. One interesting thing is that the sweetness of the the orange is all gone, but the "citric tang" is left behind. It almost tastes a little like whitbeer lemonade, whatever that is. I'm excited to see how this thing tastes after a few weeks in the bottle...

This is a delicious beer and even chicks dig it. It has a tart, citrisy taste and is a little like blue moon, but better. Definitely going to brew this one again. If anyone is interested in the recipe, I can post it.

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/1/2010
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Ben
Boil Size: 6.30 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 56.25 %
4.25 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 35.42 %
1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.30 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.40 oz Orange Peel (Boil 0.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.31 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.86 %
Bitterness: 20.7 IBU Calories: 217 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
Sparge Water: 3.24 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Single Add 18.00 qt of water at 162.8 F 153.0 F

Mash Notes:
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

The yeast used in this recipe was reused from the Benny Wheat (Belgian Witbier Activator Wyeast).

I ended up putting 5 gallons of 1.050 in the fermenter. I zested and juiced two oranges and threw those in with 5 minutes left in the boil. I did a 85 minute boil with 6.5 gallons of 1.038 and ending up with the 5 gallons of 1.050. My efficiency was 55%, which is shockingly horrible. But the beer looks pretty good.

Damn, you must have posted that right as I was typing my request. Very cool:) Thanks for posting!

I have a great recipe for orange mint iced tea, you know for the kids. It might be an interesting twist to add some mint leaves to the brew to compliment the orange?

i did my wheat almost the same way, (more like orange hefe) used 5 navel orange zest. 4 at flame out, 1 in secondary and 1/3 tsp coriander 5 min left of boil, 1/4 tsp more in secondary. (hope i didnt confuse) make sure to keep the white part of the orange out (real bitter). will be bottlin in 2 days. i tried it when i racked to the secondary and like what was mentioned before, the sweetness fermented out but the citrus tang is still there. as i mentioned i added 1 more zest and a lil extra coriander to the secondary for just a teet but more flavor. i cant wait to taste this one. a good carb of this one and could be a keepa! Peace everybody

Back