Oaking Lighter Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joemama474

Reaction score
The wife bought me some medium roast oak cubes for my birthday. I've never oaked a beer. I wonder though, what some of the "lighter" ales, like Kolsch or even Hefe would do when exposed to oak. It seems that everyone is putting their bigger beers on wood, but I'm not hearing anything about the lighter stuff. It seems like there must be a way to do it, I mean, when you put a Pinot Gris in an oak barrel, you get Pinot Grigio, right? Oak doesn't seem to HAVE to be for big fat reds. Why couldn't one make it work on a lighter brew. And no, I'm not going for a Budweiser style "Beechwood Aged" sort of thing. I'm looking to get that subtle, but unmistakeable, oak thing going on in a light ale.

Who has tried it? Anyone? Bueller?... Bueller?...

I'm feeling the same way. I just kegged a wheat beer that I won't be drinking for a while that I want to throw on some oak to see how it treats it. I say go for it, because I really like some oak flavors in my beers.

I have tasted an oaked IPA, which is by definition pale, so if that works then other styles should also.

firestone walker ( http://www.firestonewalker.com/index.php ) conditions a few of their brews (at least partially) in oak barrels and they're great. you may just want to oak it lighter than bigger brews

So, what constitutes oaking something "heavy" or "light"? How much of this is about the toast of the wood and how much about contact time? I mean, I don't mind experimenting a little bit, but I'm also a little worried about making five 1/2 gallons of beer that tastes like sawdust and tannic acid...

Back