Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > New Glarus Moon Man Clone Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #91
kenlenard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I meant to say Friday 12/14, not Saturday. Hey, tre9er... You're in NE but you've had New Glarus beers? Do you have family in WI or are you originally from there? Funny thing about NG is that they used to distribute to IL but eventually got into a kerfuffel with the distributor and eventually ended up in Wisconsin only. I do like their approach... Deb Carey said that she doesn't want to be the biggest brewery, just the best. I admit that I like their beers, especially Moon Man, Two Women and Staghorn. I'm looking forward to the tour and I'm afraid I might buy $200 worth of bottles, merchandising or both!

Visit my homebrewing site. Information on kegging, all-grain, lagering, water characteristics, new brewers, recipes and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #92
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My FIL is from Sheboygan and WF Bay. We vacationed in Sheboygan and Mackinac this summer. Moon Man one of best PAs I've had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #93
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default My not even close pic!

I didn't remember Moon Man being as light in color as it is as I was making my grain bill. as it turns out, I wasn't even close. But anyway, we all like pictures of beer so here it is. It tastes great anyway, and will be even better next go with the Motueka hops that I have now.

small_beer.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #94
kenlenard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I knew it was light but I agree... my wife poured one into a glass the other day and I was like, WHOA! I held it up to the light and was very surprised at the color. I have determined that about 4.5 to 5 ounces of C60 in an otherwise all-pale malt grain bill gets you pretty close to the color of MM. Great looking beer, lalnx! Cheers.

Visit my homebrewing site. Information on kegging, all-grain, lagering, water characteristics, new brewers, recipes and more at Mayfair Court Brewhouse

Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #95
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalnx View Post
I didn't remember Moon Man being as light in color as it is as I was making my grain bill. as it turns out, I wasn't even close. But anyway, we all like pictures of beer so here it is. It tastes great anyway, and will be even better next go with the Motueka hops that I have now.
My Fashionably Late PA (inspired by MM) is pretty much the color of the beer on the right. I like that color and it tastes great, so whatevs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #96
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
My Fashionably Late PA (inspired by MM) is pretty much the color of the beer on the right. I like that color and it tastes great, so whatevs.
Exactly, my pale ales always end up right in that color range also. I like a little C40, little Munich, and I love some Buscuit in there also. So that said, other than right now while I am trying to see if I can get it to match MM color/flavor etc. I will have to drop those items out. But when I achieve that, It will likely be just like this current one other than the addition of Motueka.

(but this weeekend I'll be brewing something with some unidentified home grown hops.)

Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #97
dlittle58
Recipes 

Sorry to jump on the band wagon a bit late, but I live in Texas and am only able to get Moon Man via a buddy who goes to MN to visit family once or twice a year. Would love to be able to make anything close to Moon Man - love the aroma and drinkability.

lalnx - did you attempt a clone? any luck?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #98
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Moon man clone

dlittle58,

My last attempt was very close, but to much bitterness from my early additions. grain bill worked out good for color. This will be how I do it next time, I will be going all late additions 20, 15, 5 and then dry hop.

9 lbs 2 row
.50 lbs crystal 40
.50 lbs Munich

mash @ 150

hopping will be @ 20, 15, 5, minutes, 4 grams each of summit, citra, amarillo(or cascade if I need to sub.), Pacific Gem, and Motueka.

ferment @68 with S-05 or maybe nottingham, because for me nottingham can get a touch of fruit in that temp range.

finally dry hop with 8 grams each hop for 7-10 days.

feel free to beat me to it, and report back, I have a few other beers to make before I wedge this one in again.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #99
dlittle58
Recipes 

Thanks so much! That hop combo was the interesting/hard part for me.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #100
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

also with the hop additions you want to end up in that 25 to maybe 30 IBU range.

You may need to figure the average bitterness for your hops (add all the alpha % together, divide by number of varieties). Use that number as your alpha value, and adjust your addition amounts based on that number. I need to do that, because my spreadsheet that I do my calculations with only has 10 lines for hop additions, and I would need 20 (five hops X 3 boil additions, and 1 dry hop addition). I just consider it my "hop blend" and it was 11.7 % AA this last time.

Quick Reply