Need Feedback: All Simcoe Late Hopped Amber Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshopper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a batch tomorrow. I need feedback on what you think of my this recipe. I am looking for a beer that is a bit of a hop bomb, one that would show off the Simcoe, but would also be fairly balanced. I like a maltier beer with some residual sweetness, too.

9 gallon BIAB batch
estimated efficiency 70%
12 # 2-row Pale
6 # Vienna
1 # Crystal 10L

Mash at 154 degrees x 60 min

1 oz Simcoe (14%) - First wort -- boil 60 min (30.2 IBU)
4 oz Simcoe flameout (would add at 180 degrees and steep 20 min before cooling further)
Safale s05 yeast
2 oz Simcoe Dry hop in secondary

Est OG: 1.053
Est FG: 1.012
Bitterness 30.2
Note that this is 9 gallon batch, and that beersmith doesn't account for any IBU's from the flamout steep.

It looks good, but I haven't made many beers like this, and I would rather not screw up 7 oz of Simcoe if I have the proportions all wrong.

Any suggestions? Seems like a lot of hops at flameout, but there are a lot of people who have had good experience doing something like this.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

My only real comment is that I don't see how that'd end up being an amber ale, at least color-wise. I'm sure it'll taste good, but the SRM is estimated at ~5.

I personally would just hop burst the beer by moving some of those ounces to other late additions rather than using 4 whole ounces at flameout.

Thanks for the input. Jammin: did you mean to move an ounce from the 4 at flameout to a 10 minute addition and another ounce from the four to add to dry hop (I already was going to dry hop with 2 oz -- this would make 3 oz for dry hopping)?

Thanks for the input. Jammin: did you mean to move an ounce from the 4 at flameout to a 10 minute addition and another ounce from the four to add to dry hop (I already was going to dry hop with 2 oz -- this would make 3 oz for dry hopping)?

Yup! Just my 2 cents though.

Back