My first oatmeal-ish stout feedback wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris200x9

Reaction score
Ok I'm new to all grain brewing here is my proposed first stout recipe for a 5 gallon batch, let me know what you think.

8 pounds Irish Ale Malt

1 pound rye malt

1 pound crystal rye malt

1 pound golden naked oats

.33 roasted barley (not a lot I know but It's crisp's at 695 Lovibond)

.25 chocolate rye malt

.125 simpsons coffee malt

.5 oz challenger

1 oz fuggles @ 20 minutes
--------------------------

I'm looking at a one hour total boil time ABV about 7.3 and using WLP004 IRISH ALE YEAST.

I am no expert on Oatmeal Stout, but I have to say it sounds great!

I just kegged my first one last week and had great success. I used close to the same amounts of what you have listed (with minor variations).

Have you thought of roasting your oats? I put a full pound of flaked oats on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes or so with a clean spatula.

I can defiantly taste the oats in the final product; it added a subtle and almost silky texture! Just food for thought.

I am curious how it turns out... Good luck!

-Ritalin

I am no expert on Oatmeal Stout, but I have to say it sounds great!

I just kegged my first one last week and had great success. I used close to the same amounts of what you have listed (with minor variations).

Have you thought of roasting your oats? I put a full pound of flaked oats on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes or so with a clean spatula.

I can defiantly taste the oats in the final product; it added a subtle and almost silky texture! Just food for thought.

I am curious how it turns out... Good luck!

-Ritalin

Thanks! I hadn't considered toasting but will look into it.

edit: looking into it I think the Golden Naked Oats are already toasted, one step ahead of you :)

Back