My First AG Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenspey

Reaction score
With the grains that I've got, how would this porter turn out?

10gallon batch
White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

15lbs Golden Promise
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 115L
1lb Belgian Chocolate
1lb Belgian Munich

2oz Mt Hood at 60
2oz Mt Hood at 30

Is there anything that would be out of balance for the style. I'm not sure what percentages of the grain bill each of these specialty grains should be.

Thanks!
Greenspey

Eh, I would be a little hesitant to brew with that grain bill. Nothing is really out of proportion per se, but I think it could be improved. The resulting beer may taste fine, but I think one problem that people have when brewing complex, tasty beers is thinking that the 'kitchen sink' method leads to a better product.

If I were brewing with that grain bill I would go with around 75% pale, 8% munich, 8% crystal 60 (or even a half and half of crystal 60 and 120), 5% chocolate, and 3% special roast. I brew a very good (BOS) robust porter with a similar recipe, though subbing the special roast for cara-pils and adding 3% carafa II.

I agree the grist is too complicated. My Robust Porter is Pale, Crystal, Chocolate, and Black Patent (82/7/7/4%).

Let's look at style. Your color is midrange for Brown Porter, but your IBUs will be way too high (if your Mt Hood AA% is much higher than 5%). Your color is on the low end for Robust Porter, and you're lacking one flavor in Robust Porter I look for in Robust Porter (Black Patent malt). Your OG is good for Robust Porter but too high for Brown Porter.

If you want Robust Porter, I'd modify the grist as follows:

15 lbs Pale
2 lbs Munich
1 lb Chocolate
1 lb Crystal 60
0.5 lb Black Patent

The Munich will add a nice round maltiness which I for one would find quite pleasant. If it were my beer, I'd use my grist, outlined above, for an OG of ~1.055.

I also don't like Irish Ale yeast in a beer like this. English or American ale, yes, but not Irish. I don't think the characteristics of that yeast fit well with the rest of the ingredients. I suggest S-04 if you want some subtle fruit (my choice) or S-05 if you want it "cleaner".

Mt Hood is an excellent variety! I should get some; I haven't used it in years.

Bob

Back