Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Maris Otter vs. domestic 2 row experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
I didn't think there was a direct correlation between volume of yeast and attenuation. As long as sufficient quantities are pitched, the yeast should do its stuff until all the sugar is gone, no?
Not exactly. Pitching rates definitely affect the final product. Underpitching can decrease attenuation and increase ester and fusel production. Overpitching can mute esters too much, and cause other off flavors. The point is, pitching rates can and do routinely affect beer flavor.

The MO that's too sweet v the American pale malt may have been underpitched, and hence underattenuated. How big of a starter did you make for the first beer? Was a stir plate involved? What was the FG for each?

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #12
McCuckerson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would love to see this exact experiment run again with MO vs 2-row w/biscuit vs 2-row w/aromatic. My goal would be to see if 2-row with small additions of either aromatic or biscuit would be comparable to a full MO malt bill.

What do you guys think?

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm going to post my experiences here since this thread came up in a search and I have something to contribute.

As another poster mentioned the mash temps used for the MO were really high and that would account for the sweeter beer.
Either I'm missing something or the others posting here all seemed to overlook that (except for lsnadon).... I made two batches of beirmunchers esb recently and the first came out too sweet....I mashed it way up around 157... The second one I aimed more for 152-153 and it was noticably less drier and better IMHO... both were done with 2 row and some of that 2 row was toasted in the oven the same way for both batches... again only change was mash temps. I did this on purpose to get a feel for how the temps effect things.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
dyqik
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I'm going to post my experiences here since this thread came up in a search and I have something to contribute.

As another poster mentioned the mash temps used for the MO were really high and that would account for the sweeter beer.
Either I'm missing something or the others posting here all seemed to overlook that (except for lsnadon).... I made two batches of beirmunchers esb recently and the first came out too sweet....I mashed it way up around 157... The second one I aimed more for 152-153 and it was noticably less drier and better IMHO... both were done with 2 row and some of that 2 row was toasted in the oven the same way for both batches... again only change was mash temps. I did this on purpose to get a feel for how the temps effect things.
Yeah, doing this experiment without good control of mash temperatures means it's pretty useless as a comparison. Mash temperature is a critical element in determining the malt character of the final beer. Oaking the beer also sounds like it would give a big variation, or hide some of the underlying taste.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
DurtyChemist
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's funny that this was bumped when I was considering doing this for an IPA smash recipe. Glad I now know to also watch mash carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply