Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Making Pabst Blue Ribbon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 AM   #1
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Making Pabst Blue Ribbon

I am thinking of doing a pabst blue ribbon clone, does anyone know what hops and malt are used to make PBR. Also do they use any adjuncts such as corn or rice.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
I am thinking of doing a pabst blue ribbon clone, does anyone know what hops and malt are used to make PBR. Also do they use any adjuncts such as corn or rice.
Some two-row and some rice solids. As for hops, show the wort a picture of Hallertau for about 20 seconds. Then lager.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

People Like This 
Old 11-11-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Some two-row and some rice solids. As for hops, show the wort a picture of Hallertau for about 20 seconds. Then lager.
LOL, that was the first beer I ever had a taste of. Yuck, way back when, and yuck now. I think I would appreciate one more if it wasn't bought in an Oklahoma liquor store hot.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-11-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

PBR is pretty cheap; why not just buy it and brew something more high-end? Besides the cost, those light American beers are tough to reproduce

Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have a bad habit of making insane drunken bets. One of my friends wants to see if I can make some PBR for him. It is more about practicing my skills at lagering than anything else.

My american lagers are fairly good, but they are made with all malt, and I think they are more hoppy and more malty than they should be. I am getting ready to try and make some with some adjuncts and get them super light, it should be a worthwhile thing to try.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D

Old 11-11-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How about this:
2.5lbs 2-row
3lbs flaked rice
.1oz Cascade 60mins
wyeast 2035
before bottling, piss in the bottling bucket to taste.
should be about right

People Like This 
Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
How about this:
2.5lbs 2-row
3lbs flaked rice
.1oz Cascade 60mins
wyeast 2035
should be about right

that's hilarious! exactly what i was thinking! i'm just a little ashamed to admit i have a bit of an affinity for the PBR. the past few years in a row i've been a ski instructor in the winter and there's a great BBQ place right above our locker room that all the instructors congregate at after a long day of teaching. the second best thing about the place (first is of course the amazing pulled pork sammys) is the $2 24oz PBR tallboy cans. now every time i ski, regardless of whether or not i'm teaching, i always crave a PBR afterwards!

good game today, z987k. I'm an alum.

ILL. . .

Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Sweet, a skiing alum!

In high school I was an instructor at Chestnut in Galena, if you've ever skied at that....I'll call it a bluff.

...INI

Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't had any PBR for years, and certainly not since Pabst ceased to exist. I remember, though, that at the bar I used to hang out at in college back in the early 80's a lot of the older regulars there swore by it. They said it had more "beer taste" than the other beers. So, at least back when it was actually brewed in Milwaukee by Pabst, it must have been a more robust beer than some of the other American lagers that were popular at the time.

I don't know, though. The thing that I always marveled about back then is how people were so passionate about "their" brand of beer when, to me, they all tasted pretty much the same. And back then there were a lot of different beers to choose from-- Old Style, Bud, PBR, High Life, Stroh's, Blatz, Schlitz...-- and those were just the "premium" beers. Of course there also were the economy brands like Red, White & Blue, Old Milwaukee, Busch. Yet, with all those brands to choose from, in those days, at least when it came to American beers, I thought that beer was beer.

So, making PBR, as opposed to any other big brewery American Lager, would be pretty tough, since the difference in the tast of PBR compared to other brands is very, very subtle IMHO.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
How about this:
2.5lbs 2-row
3lbs flaked rice
.1oz Cascade 60mins
wyeast 2035
should be about right
I put that into my brewery software, unfortunately there isn't a setting for piss, and according to the internet piss does not contain any extra fermentables. Why exactly would I want to add this to my beer? I don't think it would add anything to the taste, if anything it might detract from it.

Quote:

Quick Reply