Looking for DIPA Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bphelan

Reaction score
How does this look for a DIPA

17 lbs Pale Ale Malt (3.5 SRM) 90.7 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2.7 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 1.3 %
1 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) 5.3 %

1.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight [10.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
2.00 oz Falconer's Flight [10.00 %] - Dry Hop
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop

I kept the boil additions of Nelson a bit lower than the other hops because I've heard the tend to overpower if you use too much. Keeping the crystal low, a touch of wheat for head retention. I have a pound each of Cascade and FF, 1/2 pound of Nelson Sauvin, and about 1/2 pound of "Centennial Type" to work with.

Looks pretty good to me. With all those hops, you won't really need wheat for head retention, so you can drop it if you want. or not, doesn't really matter. What is your OG expectation? Make sure you finish dry (~1.010) thats the key. the only other thing I will say is up the dry hop to at least 6oz, maybe closer to 8.

According to Beersmith OG of 1.085, 108.3 IBUs should I be just adding more hops to the recipe for dry hopping or moving hops from late additions to dry hop?

Have you had that hop combo before? If not you might try a smaller test batch first like a lower gravity IPA. Make sure you mash low to finish dry. For a beer this big you should probably set your expected efficiency at least 10 points lower than normal. You don't need to FWH the magnum as it won't add much to the flavor and you want firm bittering. Happy brewing.

If you want more fruitiness and less harshness, you could bitter to 40-50 IBUs at boil start (considering 1.070 OG). Afterward, add a 2 oz. 15 or 10 minute addition to bring your IBUs up to their final range, then add another 2-3 oz. each at 0 min. for a hopstand as well as dryhop.

If you want some hop bite to go along with the fruitiness, bitter much higher at boil start, and supplement that with a 30 minute addition to help round out the bitterness. Then add nothing else until the 0 min. hopstand and dryhop. I prefer this schedule myself.

I'd skip FWH altogether for this style. The first example above will be hella smooth so no need for it. And I know you don't normally hear "more crystal", but 4-6 oz. more crystal here will aid your goal for smoothness and help to balance some of the bitterness. The beer can still attenuate rather well with 3-5% light crystal. I'd also use more wheat, since I don't think you're getting much from 2.7%.

Back