Looking for advice and critiques on my Earl grey Pale Ale recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgesMcCoor

Reaction score
So I'm going into my first brew with a self designed recipe and I am looking for advice/critiques. It's an extract recipe and I designed it to showcase the lemony flavour of sorachi ace hops which I think wil pair well with the earthy/citrusy earl grey. I used beer smith 2 for the calculations and adjusted alpha acid levels based off where I will be ordering the pelleted hops instead of the default levels.

5 gallon recipe

4 Ibs 8.0 oz Light dry extract
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt
60 min - 0.30 oz Warrior
10 min - 0.40 oz Sorachi Ace
5 min - 0.75 oz Sorachi Ace
0 min - 1.00 oz Sorachi Ace
12.00 oz Honey

7.6 SRM
27.0 IBU's
4.8%

To add the tea I'm going to steep 20 tea bags worth of earl grey tea in 1 reserved gallon for 2-3 minutes at 100 degrees celsius. I'm using a lot of tea steeped for a short time to try and avoid the astringent flavours which come out with overly strong tea (especially earl grey).

Honey to provide some floral aroma and taste characteristic.

Any advice or critiques welcome.

I've never brewed with tea, but I've used it in wine. It's very tannic, and I've used like 2 tea bags in 5 gallons of wine. That was a lot. I have no experience to back me up, but 20 teabags sounds very tannic, even in a quick steep. I'd be hesitant to do a full batch, and probably would do a half batch first as a teast.

There's a micro (La Barberie) in Quebec that has a beer brewed with tea: you could try shooting them an e-mail asking for dosage. It's worth a shot. I've had it and it's not my cup of tea (har har). As Yooper said, tea is very tannic. I wouldn't use 20 tea bags on the first shot, that's for sure. Plus, I'd try to cut down on the hopping since hops can also be tannic in nature and you'll maks whatever character you want to showcase. I have never brewed with weird stuff (or even spices) but I've had plenty of beers with special ingredients, and none of them, that I enjoyed, had serious late hopping.

I based the number of tea bags off of other recipes I had seen on homebrewtalk for earl grey IPA's. The most someone had done was 14 bags in 1 gallon steeped for a long time 5-6 minutes to make a very strong batch. he said he would have gone for more so i put more in, I may cut back though as I think you're right. maybe 10 bags worth?

Why do you say to cut back on late hop additions in reference to tannic flavors? I'm curious. What would you recommend instead? more small additions throughout?

Latest posts

Back