Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Light, fruity, refreshing pale ale for the wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Newton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Light, fruity, refreshing pale ale for the wife?

I've read some reviews of Coppers Sparkling Ale, and that seems about in the range of what I'd like to brew. Just something crisp, fruity, not overly bitter and something that women might like. Does anyone have any all grain suggestions? Thanks,

Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
just something crisp, fruity, not overly bitter and something that women might like. Does anyone have any all grain suggestions? Thanks,

Ben
I'd go with an IPA, myself, so maybe I'm not much in tune with what "women might like".

What kind of beer does she like? Maybe brew that style?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well she likes Bud Light and Corona of course, and I don't want to undertake an adjuct lager. I think I could get her to drink a pale ale thats not too bitter. Thats what I'm aiming at anyway.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Try fermenting with Wyeast 1388, the Duvel yeast. It throws a little pear aroma into the mix and ferments dry but gives some Belgian-yeast character (not a lot).

My suggestion: Start with mostly Pilsner malt beer, maybe some standard 2-Row, add some instant rice (20% maybe) and a touch of light Crystal (10% or so), mash at 147 for 90 mins. Do a 90 min boil adding about 25 - 30 IBU worth of Warrior (shouldn't be much) at 60 mins. Add some Amarillo at 15 mins for about 5-ish IBU and add some more Amarillo at 2 mins. Ferment for a week using 1388. Add some amalyse enzyme (NOT BEANO!) and let it go an additional couple of weeks. The AE will dry it out, reminiscent of a BMC lager but with more character.

You should get a mix of a pear / citrus nose along with a some citrusy / orange-like flavors and a very crisp / dry beer. Bitterness is mild-moderate, about like a mild US Pale. Malt is not really an issue but above your BMC style of beer... I'd probably keep it in the 6% abv range to minimize any booze-notes you would encounter.

Reason: Can't proof-read fer diddly...

Old 05-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
smarek82
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never had any inclination to brew belgians so I do not know the profile of the exact yeast barc is referring to. I personally do not like belgian beers.

I have found that Wyeast 1272 Am Ale II does lend a slightly fruitier profile than any other neutral ale yeast.

Follow his grain and hop bill, but personally I would use the 1272.

Keg 1: Coal Miner's Daugter Porter
Keg 2: Red October
Keg 3: Hopsolutely

Bottled: 1 Vienna Lagers; Erins Irish Red; Pils, Christmas Doppel, Addy's Amber Ale(competition brew), Mayden Voyage Blonde Ale

Primary:
Secondary:
Future: Something Belgian, ESB

Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Brew a witbier chicks seem to be digging them as of late ...that or im awesome!

KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 05-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would highly reccomend a Patersbier, very easy to brew, very easy to drink. In fact I recently took first place with it in the belgian specialty category for a competition here in Ga ....
I shared it with a friend and his wife and was told "don't take this the wrong way, but this would be a great beer for women, It's just so light" .... Anyways I got a laugh out of it.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarek82 View Post
I've never had any inclination to brew belgians so I do not know the profile of the exact yeast barc is referring to. I personally do not like belgian beers.

I have found that Wyeast 1272 Am Ale II does lend a slightly fruitier profile than any other neutral ale yeast.

Follow his grain and hop bill, but personally I would use the 1272.
Try a Duvel. You may be surprised to find you like Belgians. It is probably one of the mildest yeasts you'll find out there but, Duvel itself, packs a wallop.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:54 AM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
I've read some reviews of Coppers Sparkling Ale, and that seems about in the range of what I'd like to brew. Just something crisp, fruity, not overly bitter and something that women might like. Does anyone have any all grain suggestions? Thanks,

Ben
I'm a fan of Cooper's Sparkling Ale. I have never brewed it but Jamil Zainesheff did a show in the Brewing Network where an Australian homebrewer talked about cloning it. Go to brewingnetwork.com, take the link for Jamil Show and search for "sparkling". The recipe was fairly simple as I recall. The keys are a high carbonation level and getting the right yeast. They talk about that in the show, the guest was adamant that the coopers yeast (eg that comes with their kits) is not the right yeast and you need to grow it up from a bottle.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. BTW, you should be able to find a Cooper's Sparkling if you live in the US. I see it at most of the stores I buy beer at and every Outback Steakhouse I have been to has it in the bottle.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #10
Newton
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyemt View Post
I would highly reccomend a Patersbier, very easy to brew, very easy to drink. In fact I recently took first place with it in the belgian specialty category for a competition here in Ga ....
I shared it with a friend and his wife and was told "don't take this the wrong way, but this would be a great beer for women, It's just so light" .... Anyways I got a laugh out of it.
Is there anyway you could post a recipe?

Quick Reply