Leftovers, what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
So after my next batch I'm going to have some pale chocolate and crystal malt left over as well as some fuggles hops. I've decided to try something off the wall and have resigned myself to brewing it up. Just wanted to know what people thought of the recipe and if there are some suggestions to either make it better or more interesting, I'd love to know. And if this just seems ridiculous, also, let me know.

Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.71 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (180.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (10 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)

--------------

Also, anyone know what style, besides "Specialty," this could fall into if any (doesn't really matter just like to know)?

- Jeff

Never brewed a Dunkel weizen before. For the weizen, what yeast would normally be pitched? What would the flavor difference be?

- Jeff

Also, would the current hop schedule be enough to round out the maltiness? I'm still new at this (obviously) and don't want this recipe to be TOO sweet but more "rounded." I just need pointing in the right direction...

For a dunkel I would recommend wyeast 3068. With a dunkel you won't want any aroma or flavor hops just bittering. If it was me I would just drop the fuggles all together and using it as a bittering hop on your next brew. Boil the styrian goldings for an hour and you'll be about there. If you really want to use the fuggles I would throw them in at 30 min or so and do the styrian goldings for 45. You could go 45 with both and it will be slightly hoppier than the style dictates but I don't think it would be terrible. I've never used the yeast you have so I don't know much about it but 3068 will give some clove and banana esters that are the trademark of wheat beers. By the way, wheat beers tend to attenuate really well so I wouldn't be concerned about any sweetness, it should be malty for a dunkel but not sweet. You could give it a go with your current yeast and call it a belgian dunkel but I don't know how that would turn out.

Thanks for the info. Yea I was reading up on dunkelweisse since your last post and sounds like I'm really close to that style (not that I didn't doubt you). I think I might have to do two batches. One with the yeast you suggested and one with the belgian. Not knowing how it'll come out with the belgian yeast makes me really want to give it a try.

- Jeff

Is that yeast pretty clean for a belgian? You've got me wanting to experiment too.:mug:

To be honest, not exactly sure, never used it before but I've read good things about it on the forums. On their website, Wyeast has:
One of the great and versatile strains for the production of classic Belgian style ales. This strain produces a beautiful balance of delicate fruit esters and subtle spicy notes; with neither one dominating. Unlike many other Belgian style strains, this strain is highly flocculent and results in bright beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 65-76° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV

I also emailed them about using it for dunkelweizen-styled beer and what flavor differences I should expect. But, being the weekend they haven't responded.

Also, instead of using the styrian goldings, I'm probably going to opt for 1oz Tradition Hops @ 50 min and 1/2oz Fuggles Hops @ 30 min.
If you try the recipe out, let me know how it goes.

Back