Late addition Simcoe = Apricot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BandT

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG awhile ago; BIAB and also single hopped (kinda) with Simcoe, all late-hop additions. I'm just now happy with the stage that it's in (carbonation/flavor).

I would like to know if anybody else thinks that a Simcoe beer tastes like an alcoholic apricot (in a really good way). My palate is really unrefined, so please feel free to give opinions, recipe critique , and whether or not you think the dryhop has a large effect and I'm not really tasting the Simcoe.

Here's the recipe:
12 lb Pale malt
1 lb Crystal 40
.5 lb Carapils
12 oz Honey(a Teddy Bear bottle of hunny)
5 oz Priming Sugar (yah, I threw it in the boil. On purpose.)

All Simcoe:
1 oz 25 min
1 oz 15 min
1 oz 10 min
1 oz 5 min
1 oz 0 min

1 oz Centennial DryHop 7 days (I thought I had more simcoe, whoops)

OG: 1.069 FG: 1.007 WLP001 yeast

So all I'm tasting is alcoholic apricot. It's great, but I read a lot of people get "dank" or "skunk" from Simcoe, is that true?

I just opened my first bottle of a Double IPA that I brewed using all Simcoe hops - "alcoholic apricot" would be a good way to describe it. I was expecting pine. It's definitely drinkable, but not what I was hoping for.

Those symptoms sound like an issue with fermentation temperature control, in particular the alcohol + fruit. I think you can definitely get an apricot flavor from simcoe but there's no reason you should get a strong aroma of alcohol.

What yeast did you use and at what temp? How did you maintain that temp?

My 1st all-Simcoe beer was definite mango and peach with a bit of pineapple- very tropical. When I did a Russian River R2H56 there was still some mango and apricot. I was surprised by the flavor on the first batch and thought maybe I got so much peach from fermenting US05 at a lower temperature. Love me some Simcoe!

I love the Simcoe, my standard IPA is hopped heavily with Simcoe and then dry hopped with even more (In addition to some Northern Brewer hops which is a great combo in my opinion). I get the pine that I want from the early bittering additions, and get lots of grapefruit from the flameout and dry hop additions. This along with the California Ale yeast makes an awesome beer. As was mentioned before if you have problems with alcohol flavor, that's definitely a result of high fermentation temps.

Back