Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > last minute critiques before brewing, Lemongrass/Pomegranate Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
zuesy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've made both a lemongrass rye and lemongrass wheat using whole, fresh lemongrass. Love the lemongrass.

A suggestion: You might try mashing the lemongrass. For both I mash about 4 oz lemongrass and add 4 oz at 15 minutes.

The first time I made the wheat, I added the lemongrass to the secondary. It came out a little too acidic and the lemon "nose" really overshadowed the hops (I used Cascade and Mangum).

A boil only (60/15 min) addition the first time I made the rye failed to develop a notable lemon taste.

YMMV

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #12
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuesy View Post
I've made both a lemongrass rye and lemongrass wheat using whole, fresh lemongrass. Love the lemongrass.

A suggestion: You might try mashing the lemongrass. For both I mash about 4 oz lemongrass and add 4 oz at 15 minutes.

The first time I made the wheat, I added the lemongrass to the secondary. It came out a little too acidic and the lemon "nose" really overshadowed the hops (I used Cascade and Mangum).

A boil only (60/15 min) addition the first time I made the rye failed to develop a notable lemon taste.

YMMV
How much did you use in secondary? I was thinking a single stalk roughly shaved or 2oz.
Currently in the works...

Primary 1:Honey Rye Saison
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Up next: Rye Amber Ale, Brett Braggot.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
zuesy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put about 4 oz in the secondary. I took two stalks that I husked with the green bits removed (so really, just the inner "heart") and cut into chunks. I put it in the secondary and racked on top of it for 5 days.

Basically, I used my dry-hopping technique on it.

The problem I had with it was like a dry-hop, the aroma was pronounced - too much so. The beer didn't have any aroma characteristic except the sharp lemon smell. Also, unlike other fruit additions I've tried I didn't think the lemongrass oils dissolved very well in the beer. It was like a black and tan with beer and lemon juice.

I'm sure I could have engineered a way around it, but I found a recipe here (At the bottom of the first page: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/lemongrass-rye-133081/) that called for the lemongrass in the mash and boil, so I tried that. It came out so well I abandoned the secondary idea.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will remember the mash idea, if it worked out so well I will probably go that route from now on. I did want a nice lemongrass nose, but don't want to over power. I was only going to use 2oz max. I ended up with 1.5oz lemongrass and 0.5oz cracked coriander @ 5min boil/flameout. and then I was going to do 1-2 (haven't decided yet) oz in secondary.

Also, my color turned out a lot darker than I expected. With this grain bill, should it really have turned out this dark?

0.50 lb Rice Hulls
4.50lb Pale 2-row
4.50lb White Wheat
0.25lb Crystal/Caramel 20L

Beer Smith gave this an SRM of 4.2...and brewmasters warehouse (where I bought my supplies) gave it a 4.8

Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Last edited by KyleWolf; 05-13-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so holy crap. This is my lowest gravity beer to date (1.049 SG), with a smack pak of wyeast 3638 bavarian wheat. This is the most violent fermentation I have seen (done a few barleywines with SG above 1.1 and an imperial brown 1.75 SG), bubbling hard yesterday and now bubbling approx 6-8/sec.

I think somebody is going to have to read up on yeast bank preparations maybe if I am lucky I can make aliquots of this yeast in smaller vials and my boss (work in a bio-lab) would let me use our -80C lol jk.

Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Secondary:
Secondary:

Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So the last batch ended up infected. So I am re-brewing with a new recipe. let me know what you think.
(the reason for different malts is because its what I have on hand)

3lb 6oz Wheat Malt
2lb 4oz Marris Otter
2lb 2oz Pilsner Malt
0lb 2oz Caramel 120L. (probably going to leave it out, but we'll see)
0lb 8oz Rice Hulls...though I doubt I'll need them.

OG- 1.045 (estimated) (75% efficiency)
Mashing at 151-152

.25oz Columbus 40min boil
.25oz Simcoe 10min boil
.25oz Amarillo 10min boil

4oz lemongrass into the mash
4oz lemongrass 10min left in boil
0.5oz crushed coriander 10min left in boil

Still using Wyeast 3638

Primary 2: