Kit of the Month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natethebrewer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just joined Midwest supplies' kit of the month club, kinda cool (but corny)
Idea.
Does anybody else use it and what are your thoughts?

Weird, I was just reading about this this morning in the catalog, was thinking to myself that it would be a good way to make sure I keep my pipeline going. What yeast option did you go with?

does anyone know if it's extract, all grain, partial mash? it doesn't say anywhere on there.

I went with the dry yeast, just for cost.
and the kits so far have been extract but I keep a 50lb sack of 2-row on hand, so I've tweaked things a bit. it's nice having it delivered too :)

i contacted them and its all extract kits.

kind of a bummer becuase i want a AG option.

Anybody know of anyplace else that has kit of the month club

If they had an AG option I would do it. I've thought about it anyway, but grain always ends up so much cheaper than extract kits.

this is the reply i got about the all grain brew of the month

Noah,

Thank you for contacting us.

We have considered it, however we find that all-grain brewers tend to want to make their own recipes, and so they do not stay with the program long. The high turnover rate makes it tough to do. I will bring it up with the powers that be again. We always appreciate knowing what people are looking for.

If the local store did something like this I'd use them personally.

I do have one complaint with the kit of the month.
They won't ship me anything else in the same box, at the same time.
For example,

I have them on the phone yesterday, and ask it they can throw in some sanitizer with the next order (to save on packing materials and shipping costs) and just bill me. I was told it's "separate from everything else" which kinda sucks.

So I've just received the ingredients for this months kit, a cream ale of sorts.
Midwest supplied me with,

6 LBS Light Liquid Malt Extract
1/2 LB Cara-Pils.
and 2 OZ Cascade pellets.

I've decided I have enough other material laying around to split this kit and make 10 gallons instead of 5.
So I'll have 5 of cream (or blonde) and 5 of brown. so I can mix and have 3 different beers on hand.

for the blonde
3 LBS LLME
0.25 lb Cara-Pils
4 LBS Pale 2-Row
0.125 lb Vienna malt
0.75 lb Corn Grits

1.5 oz cascades

For the Brown
3 LBS LLME
0.25 lb cara-Pils
4 LBS Pale 2-Row
0.25 lb Vienna malt
0.5 lb Corn grits
0.25 lb home toasted 2-Row
0.25-0.5 lb Roasted Barley (depending on taste)

1.5 oz Cascades

should come out within style guidelines for the blonde.
And should make interesting beers either way.

Back