Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > KBS Clone Recipe in Zymurgy!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
skawars1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have made a version of this a bunch of times. The stout without the bourbon is fantastic. Actually I used this as a base for a Blueberry stout I did for the usa world cup opener. Red/white/blue brews. Be careful with those oak chips though. I still have bottles from a year and a half ago that taste like an Oak tree. 1oz of chips-2.5 gallons for 2 weeks was way too long.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #22
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawars1 View Post
I have made a version of this a bunch of times. The stout without the bourbon is fantastic. Actually I used this as a base for a Blueberry stout I did for the usa world cup opener. Red/white/blue brews. Be careful with those oak chips though. I still have bottles from a year and a half ago that taste like an Oak tree. 1oz of chips-2.5 gallons for 2 weeks was way too long.
So, better to wait until about a week before bottling to add the oak chips? I've been debating what to do. I'm almost at week 2 and the recipe says to add the chips to the secondary which would leave them in there for about 5 months.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #23
skawars1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ya I would definitely not leave the oak in there for 5 months. You could do a trietary, but that is just a pita. If you are going to bulk age hold off until bottling time.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will do, thanks. What about adding the bourbon? Should that go in at 2 weeks without the oak, then? Or is the bourbon there more to sterilize the oak chips than anything else, so hold off until just before bottling?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
skawars1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The bourbon is definitely there to sterilize the oak plus it adds flavor to the beer. How much bourbon you add depends on how you like your KBS. This past years KBS was way more bourbony than the last.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #26
cbourassa
Recipes 

First, in which issue of Zymurgy! did this recipe appear?

Second, do any of those who have brewed this recipe have any results that they wish to report? I am very curious to see how this beer turned out.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #27
bobber_beer
Recipes 

we are planning a group brew with our club and adding it to a bourbon barrel instead of using chips/bourbon. many of us will need to go partial extract to get that gravity. interested in seeing how it turned out for others too.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #28
psychobrawler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Racking to secondary today. Started at 1.100 and ended at 1.018 in two weeks. Still some very slow bubbling, but it's dry enough for this beer. I subbed in a couple of pounds of sugar for some of the two row to get down low enough.

My hydro sample tasted very strongly of coffee. I'm thinking of holding off the secondary coffee for now. Anyone else think that the 2 oz at the end of boil comes out pretty strong? It's fantastic, I just don't want to go stronger on the coffee.

I'm going to stick with the very small oak addition and leave it in the secondary. I'll let you know how that comes out.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #29
peregrinebio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've had this sitting in secondary for over a month now so I can't speak directly for the KBS. But I did make the regular Breakfast Stout clone which has the same amount of coffee in the recipe 10 months ago. I'm down to my last couple of bottles now and I can say that there was definitely a decline in coffee flavor over time. Much the same as hop flavor declines.

It probably was at peak balance around the 6 month mark and now the chocolate is more overt. Given the fact that the KBS needs to be aged much longer, I wouldn't worry about the extra coffee, especially with the other complex flavors in this beer.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #30
mattjmac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FINALLY going to bottle this over Thanksgiving weekend. I haven't bottled a beer (due to kegging) in over 9 years. Any tips or suggestions on the amount of priming sugar to use. I've read elsewhere that higher gravity beers use less sugar. Thanks.

Quick Reply