Interesting Hop advice on BBR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfowler1

Reaction score
I am working through the Basic Brewing Radio archives. On my drive to work this morning, I listened to an interview from 2005 about hops. It was funny hearing that Amarillo will be "all the rage in the future". The expert that James was interviewing went out of his way to mention that if someone is storing their bulk pellet hops frozen, they should always be taken out of the freezer 24 hours before use and brought to room temperature (be it for brewday or a dry hop addition) in order to optimize their aroma contribution.

I can't explain exactly why, but it was along the lines of allowing one of the oil compounds in the hop to dissipate ahead of time; an oil that when frozen stays stored in the hop and can reduce aroma.

I've never heard this tip before. Has anyone else heard the interview, or support the practice? Thoughts?

Joe

That's interesting. I always take out my hops an hour or so before using them. Curious how 24 hours would make a difference.

Mine pretty much go straight from freezer to boil or beer. Curious what others think.

I take mine out the same time as my yeast...so probably 2 hrs before using (3 hours before pitching yeast).

Back