IIPA SMaSH with whole leaf Nugget hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
Just received 8oz of some whole leaf Nugget hops. Haven't really used Nugget much but decided to try a SMaSH beer. I'm wanting to use all the hops so I've decided to do a double IPA. The hops are dried lovely little cones. Very excited about this one. Below is the recipe, let me know what you think.

12 lbs Pale LME
2oz Nugget @ 60min
1oz Nugget @ 45min
1oz Nugget @ 30min
1oz Nugget @ 15min
1oz Nugget @ 5min
2oz Nugget @ dry hop

Planning on using 2 packets of Safale US-05. Going to let it ferment 2 weeks. Move to secondary and drop hop for another week. This is going to be the biggest ABV beer I've ever brewed, so any suggestions are welcome

Id cut the 45 and 30 minute additions & up the late additions. Im not a fan of IPA hop additions at those times in the boil. Youre not getting much aroma/flavor, and if youre looking for bitterness drop it @ 60.

Id cut the 45 and 30 minute additions & up the late additions. Im not a fan of IPA hop additions at those times in the boil. Youre not getting much aroma/flavor, and if youre looking for bitterness drop it @ 60.

This. I'm a pretty firm believer that hops after 60 minutes but before say, 5 minutes, are a waste. I actually don't put any hops in after bittering until the wort is below 180*.

This. I'm a pretty firm believer that hops after 60 minutes but before say, 5 minutes, are a waste. I actually don't put any hops in after bittering until the wort is below 180*.

That's how I do my beers as well. I'd use whatever you need at 60 minutes to get your target IBUs (pellet hops are fine if you want to save the leaf for late-boil), then add the rest when the beer has come off the boil. Nugget's tasty, but pretty mildly flavored, so 8oz won't give you anything crazy. I might go for a more complex grain bill, but yours should be fine.

10583007_10102259444751630_951254401369553775_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back