Ideas for a hoppy Red Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvh261

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try making a Red Ale for a while as I've never done one. I've had a few Imperial Reds lately that I've really liked, though I've found them a little on the too sweet side. I also want to make use the hops I have on hand.
So I've settled on Centennial and it turns out this is exactly what Rogue uses for its St. Rogue's Red. Along with Chinook, though I'm out of that and thought about maybe subbing a little Columbus for bittering.

Also, this would be an extract & steeping grains brew... anyone have any ideas or suggestions? If you have a good all grain base for a nice hoppy Red I'd be happy to take a shot at converting it for an extract brew. I'm just starting to get my info together so literally all info is appreciated. So far I'm thinking some Crystal 60, a little Victory and/or Special Roast, a little Chocolate... any thoughts on using some Carared with the Crystal? Is there much difference? I've never used Carared in anyting.

Anyway..sorry for rambling. Too much to figure out about making a good American Red and figured this is as good a place to get started as any.

Info on St. Rogue's Red:
Reddish copper in color, a roasty malt flavor with a hoppy sprucy finish. Saint Rogue Red is made with two-row Harrington, Klages and Munich malts, along with Hugh Baird 30-37, 13-17 Carastan, and Crystal 70-80 malts (44.4% speciality grains .39 lbs grain per bottle); Chinook and Centennial hops. Saint Rogue Red is available in a 22-ounce bottle, 12-ounce 6-pack (new for 2005), and on draft. Saint Rogue Red Dry Hopped-a draft only variation with raw Centennial hops added to the keg, giving the beer an increased hop finish and intense hop aroma.
Measurements: 13 degrees Plato, IBU 44, Apparent Attenuation 73, Lovibond 27

Info on Great Lakes Nosferatu:
Highly hopped stock ale rich with flavor, yet remarkably balanced. A strong red ale brewed with North American hops and cascades. ABV: 8.0% / ABW: 6.4% / IBU: 75 Color - 25 SRM Bitterness - Original Gravity - 18 Plato

Bear Republic Red Rocket is a good one too. On the Mr. Malty page there is a recipe called Evil Twin, in conjunction with the article on huge hop flavor. Evil Twin is a blood red ale with a short yet highly late-hopped boil. I've been meaning to give it a try, there is an AG and extract version.

Take a look at my Murder In The Red Barn recipe, it's the best I've done. I'd suggest getting some of your red color from Munich malt - either partial mash a couple pounds, or get your hands on some Munich extract (NB sells it).

Another option for you is the RedHop Ale in my pulldown. You can't go wrong with a nice hoppy amber IMO.

Thanks. That Mr. Malty article is interesting. I might try something like that and go with just a bit of Warrior for bittering and then do a lot of Centennial late hop additions. Brewtus, I've looked over your RedHop recipe before. Looks great. As does the "Murder". Though the hops on that one are similar to what I do on my house IPA. I'll have to post that recipe at some point. I think I'm going to stick with the all Centennial hops on this one since I have a lot and don't want to spend on more hops right now. Once I go all grain (maybe in fall..gotta wedding to take care of before I spend money on equipment) I might just have to make your Red though Bird. The recipe has been copied and saved on my hard drive.

Looks like that Munich extract is seasonsal at NB and they're currently out. I'll have to see if I can hunt any down somewhere. Otherwise... may as well get some partial mashes going. Been meaning to get off my a$$ and get it done so I can start making Rye IPA's anyway...

thanks for all the info, really helpful.

My favorite example is Green Flash Hop Head Red

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/35732

It is a local brew but I imagine you could get it other places as they use Stone distribution channels to move their beer.

I have an attempt at a hoppy red in secondary right now but it isn't quite right I don't think.

I used Crystal 40 for steeping and amarillo throughout. I am going to try and dry hop it with some more Amarillo and maybe some Simcoe.

My biggest complaint is I missed on the color, it doesn't have that deep ruby color I was going for.

Good luck with yours.

I haven't been able to hunt down any Munich Malt Extract. But Northern Brewer's Amber looks similar. Think I could just sub it in and use a little less Crystal in the steeping grains?

Northern Brewer Amber. Northern Brewer Amber is a mix of pale and Munich malt with Caramel 60 for a sweet malt flavor with caramel overtones.

vs.

Northern Brewer Munich is a blend of pale and Munich malts, and yields a red-amber color and very malty flavor. This is a seasonal extract, offered during the fall, winter and early-spring.

For an extract I recommend you stick with the lightest extract you can and make the colors and flavors with the specialty grains. You will have more control. Carared will give you good red color but you need to use large amounts. Some people say at least 20%! I use it for a lot of brews. It is a crystal/caramel malt. It is about 20L I believe so not very dark and less sweet than say the 60L Crystal you mention. Definately give it a try

Other grains you can look at for red color are melanoidin, special b, and a small amount of roasted barley, like 1-2 ounces. The melanoidin is specially kilned to get you the same effect as munich and vienna malts which are high in melanoidin contents which provide a rich malty flavor and red hues. I believe melanoidin malt could be steeped if you are trying to avoid a mini-mash though don't quote me on that. Special b will certainly give you red hues as well however do not use to much because it will add a burnt/very caramel-ly flavor in large quantities. It is essentially a very dark crystal malt. Finally, the roasted barley is used traditionally in Irish reds. Just a touch will give you strong red tones. Too much and it is roasty.

It is a balancing act to make a red I believe. Too much of this or that and it affects the flavor. Too many ingredients (kitchen sink approach) it becomes muddy and brown more than red.

Have fun!

I just did a hoppy red last week. Partial mash recipe is as follows:

3.3lb Extra Light LME
1lb Crystal 60
1/2lb Marris Otter
1lb 2-Row
1.75lb Rice

1.5oz Centennial @ 60 min.
1oz Amarillo @ 30min

Single infusion mash @ 150 for 60 minutes. Batch sparge at 170, do the normal boil for a full 60.

Expected OG 1.044
Actual OG 1.043
(Expected) FG 1.010

Overall it smells pretty fantastic right now. It looks more like an Irish brown, but through Beer Tools its in the middle SRM for an Irish Red.

I'll let you know how it turns out in about a month.

Back