I like Edwort's Haus Pale Ale, what should I brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulBrewer

Reaction score
I am new to homebrew and I brewed a few patches of Haus Pale Ale (original and less hoppy - I like them both;) I have also brewed BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops, which is a bit mild for my taste.

What should I brew next?:confused:

I am new to homebrew and I brewed a few patches of Haus Pale Ale (original and less hoppy - I like them both;) I have also brewed BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops, which is a bit mild for my taste.

What should I brew next?:confused:

I will toss in a vote to just keep trying up some variations on Ed's HPA.. mash a little higher or lower with the temp, change up the hops a little bit, do some dry hopping... try splitting the batch of wort & ferment 1/2 with one yeast, 1/2 with another, etc.

If you want to keep within that theme because you like the beer, it's a nice way to experiment. It's a very flexible & forgiving recipe in my opinion, I've brewed it quite a few times. My favorite version is always the next one.

I disagree, I think you should try some different styles. Stout, wheat, dunkelweizen. I like brewing because it makes me try out different styles I wouldn't buy. Try something a little bit bigger, more hoppy or something.

just my 2 cents though. Your the one drinking it so brew what you want.

there is a website that will just come up with something random for you to brew too. Don't remember the link though.

Wakadaka said:
I disagree, I think you should try some different styles. Stout, wheat, dunkelweizen. I like brewing because it makes me try out different styles I wouldn't buy. Try something a little bit bigger, more hoppy or something.

just my 2 cents though. Your the one drinking it so brew what you want.

there is a website that will just come up with something random for you to brew too. Don't remember the link though.

A couple issues with brewing what you wouldn't buy.

1. If you end up not liking the style you are stuck with 5 gallons.
2. How do you know it came out right if you haven't had a commercial example to compare it to.

I vote for doing a recipe you tried already and changing one thing. That way you can gain understanding of what each thing does to the beer.

I brew a variation of EdWorts pale all the time, I use c-40 instead of c-10, mash at 154° I FWH with 1 oz of centennial, .25 oz centennial and .25 oz cascade at 30 min, .25 oz cascade at 15 min, and add .5oz cascade at flameout. I ferment with WLP002.

I go for a different style each time and try to add my own spin on it. Keeps things interesting. Be creative but don't go outside of your limits... I know from experience. But some crazy ideas turn out well.

My fiance has redhair and her last name is Hopper. Big Hopper's India Pale Ginger Ale. Its red, very hoppy, and a hint of ginger. May not fit in the BJCP guidelines, but everyone thinks its funny and delicious.

If you think one of your brews is exceptionally good (not just the proud parent, but actually good) then tweak it and make it better.

i vote you should brew a full-blown german kolsch, i bet you'll love it. similar enough to the haus pale so you won't be disappointed, but ultimately quite different.

Try Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.So many guests look at the dark beer and then taste a mellow very drinkable beer . You will need to brew more because it is a a hit.Then SNPA!

thanks for the suggestions guys! I actually have ingredients for two more batches of Ed's pale ale, I played with the amount of hops with the last brews, but I kept Cascade and Nottingham. I will try a diff hop and/or yeast next time.

Centennial Blonde is next on my brew list, I will definitely try kolsch and some others as soon as I get my fermenting chamber built.

Back