I brew your recipe competition!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastforbrains

Reaction score
Hello there fellow brewers.

I don't know what to brew and I need some inspiration!
So I call for a recipe competition!
The rules are simple; I let you know my inventory, and you make an awesome recipe that I brew!
I keep all recipes that look more or less serious/interesting, and unless there's one that really stands out and I just "must" brew, I'll put all keepers in a hat and pick a winner blindly.
So, what would you brew if you had the attached, photoed ingredients on hand?
One of the aspects of this competition is that you have to be able to interpret my hand writing, and, if you're imperial, you have to convert from metrics! (I don't mind if your submission is in imperial units though.)

The submitter of the winning recipe gets beermail from France, including some local hand-crafted triples and biere-de-garde's , and of course a bottle of your own recipe brewed by yours truly!

Happy formulating!

Cheers!
Yfb

I attach my ingredients photo here...
Oh, forgot to mention, please submit your recipe by November 15!

IMG_20141030_010451.jpg

I like simple, clean, malty, dark lagers myself. I would brew something dunkel inspired.

5.50kg Munich
0.25kg chocolate
35g Hersbrucker at 60
14g Hersbrucker at 20

Mash for 75 minutes at 65.5C
Ferment at 10C with S-23 or W lager.

Even if I'm not the winner, I'd be interested in some international bottle exchanges.

EDIT: Just noticed you only have 300g of chocolate malt. Toss it all in and use it up.

Excellent! What volumes we talking about here? (Presuming 5 USgallons in fermenter), and what efficiency/abv are we aiming at?

Oops, I probably should've added that info. Yea, 5 US gal or 19 L was what I was thinking. I didn't run the exact numbers through a recipe program but I'm estimating this recipe to be about a 1.058 OG with ~72% efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm gonna bump this because I feel there has to be more people out there with recipe ideas.

Doppelsticke/Indian Alt/Kitchen-Sink
All units in lb/oz
10 Light Munich
5 Pale ale
optional: small addition of chocolate or roast barley for color
Mash long & low, say 90 minutes at 148
2 Cascade 60
Mix the Styrian, Tradition, EKG and Hersbrucker together (approximately 12 oz)
use 2oz at 10, 8oz as a post-boil steep, and 2oz as a dry-hop
Ferment with US-05 on the cool side (although Belle Saison sounds intriguing)

1.073/1.015/7.7%ABV
50-60 IBUs
9-14 SRM

Seems like hbt was not the right forum to launch a competition. Please bump again to fish for competitors :)

Judgement day is here!
I will brew and award both recipes, but kingwood's double sticke will be made first!
@aryoung, I will brew your recipe when Paris temps have dropped to lager-compatible levels.
I will try to shoot some photos during brew day and keep this thread posted as moving forwards.
When each respectful beer is ready, I'll get back to you for award shipment details.
Cheers, and thanks for participating!
YBF

I'm shocked more people didn't participate. It seemed like something this community would've jumped on.

Good luck with the brews.

I myself am hoping to make the time to brew an American IPA. Followed by an ESB and a dark lager. Both for competitions early next year.

I suppose there are just too many posts to hide behind. Not sure how my post caught your attention in the first place, but I guess you were simply browsing new posts at the right time, rather than actively looking for a competition like this one...
Good luck with your brews!
Cheers
YBF

I'm shocked more people didn't participate. It seemed like something this community would've jumped on.

I write recipes for folks all the time, and would be happy to help out- but shipping beer internationally is major illegal activity and I wouldn't be a part of that. I believe that most people feel the same way. Some things are fine, but breaking federal law is probably not worth it to most people!

"Shipping alcoholic beverages through a courier is permitted"
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...ements-for-importing-alcohol-for-personal-use

Cheers
Ybf

Yes, but not homebrew. Commercial alcohol must be labeled and taxes and duties paid. Some states in the US further restrict importing internationally. Heck, some states don't even allow it from one state to another, let alone internationall!
Anyway, you asked why others didn't jump right on it, and I thought I'd just mention why.

Yes, but not homebrew. Commercial alcohol must be labeled and taxes and duties paid. Some states in the US further restrict importing internationally. Heck, some states don't even allow it from one state to another, let alone internationall!
Anyway, you asked why others didn't jump right on it, and I thought I'd just mention why.

Thanks Yooper. Will try to find a way. I know homebrew is being shipped internationally from and to the us for competitions like the sjporr challenge. The international leg had some initial trouble with the us customs, but the shipment was cleared at the end.

Cheers
Yfb

I heard its an old law that hasn't been updated. It is not enforced although the beer can be tossed. Canada post is the same way, its against their rules. I was talking to a Canada post person about it.

Ok, so we're landing at 21 liters @ 1.080. I'm not topping up to get to target, as I don't appreciate my top-up brews. Topping up = diluting = something watery about it. If you don't hit your target, tough, but don't try to correct it by topping up, is my advice. Ferment it as is!

View attachment 1416766728818.jpg

Yeast rehydration. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I took the liberty of adding 2 packs of S23 lager yeast to the original recipe. It needed more yeast! Fermenting this at ale temps though, pitching into wort at 17°C and fermenting in ambient 18. So in all, 34.5 grams dry, rehydrated yeast goes into this big boy!

View attachment 1416768037178.jpg

I didn't even read the opening post closely enough to see what the prize was, much less worry about Interpol. No need to send me any bottles of anything. Like Yooper, I just like writing recipes. I hope the beer turns out well; the pic in post #18 is very encouraging.

Gravity sample sg = 1.020, still going, but slowed down to 6 burps a minute, I ramped up the ambient temp a few degrees to facilitate clean-up.
Cheers
YFB

Threw the dry hop addition into the fermentor this evening, gravity reading is still 1.016 so looks like we've landed there.

Back