How Much to Carbonate My ESB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
For a draught ESB, I would go with the Recipator. I like about 1.0 volumes.
For a bottled version, I'd go with Jamil, which also agrees with KingBrianI and Terry Foster (Pale Ales in the Classic Beer Styles series).

But I refuse to call myself an expert.

-a.

Thanks a. I was hoping you would respond since I've noticed you brew quite a few English beers.

Maybe I scared people a bit. Even if you don't consider yourself an expert, I'd like to know how things have turned out for you.

I really like ESBs but I'm hesitant to brew one because of carbonation. I keg and don't have a secondary regulator.

I know Sierra Neveda's ESB isn't actually an ESB, but it and Fuller's seem to have a pretty good amount of carbonation in there. Makes me feel like I could get away with higher levels.

I think of ESB as a draught, naturally conditioned beer dispensed via a beer engine. Such beers have a very low level of carbonation, but it allows the beer to be dispensed into a 1 pint glass yielding 1 pint of beer rather than 90% beer, and 10% head. The low carbonation also has a noticeable effect on the flavor, allowing the full flavor of the malt to be appreciated.
If you are kegging, you can get pretty close to the original by keeping the pressure down to about 5 PSI. This is what I do, and I and my friends (many of them familiar with English ales) are very satisfied with the results.
For bottling (which I only do very occasionally), I find I need much more carbonation than with the keg. I shoot for 1.5 - 2 volumes CO2, and increase the grain bill by about 10% to overcome the masking effects of the extra CO2. To my taste, it isn't as good as the kegged version, but it's still very drinkable, while a flat bottled beer is disgusting.

-a.

1.65 is the magic number (odd number, I know). I just bottled them tonight. Thanks for the advice. I'll let all of you stop by and use my new Blichmann when this gets BOS in the HBT competition.

I kid...I kid

For anyone interested, I'm very pleased with the 1.65 volume number I chose. It's low enough to differentiate itself from other styles, but by no means "flat". Thanks again for the advice.

Back